MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

This cost me a lovely doe

CrabGrassAcres

Several weeks ago, one of my does was struck on the udder by a rattler during the night while she was in her yard. She died in spite of everything I could do. I was heartbroken. Yesterday evening my Pyrs started going ballistic and then I heard the rattle from over 100 ft away. I emptied the .22 into its gut and then reloaded and put a bullet thru its head, just to make sure and because I am so angry about losing my sweet doe. He's about 4 ft long.

post-2361-068108000 1302868512_thumb.jpg

Thank you, ladies.

MC, they are bad here. This is the first I've killed, but some of the neighbors have killed them and a friend lost a couple of goats to them. Copperheads are more numerous and more aggressive. I shot one of those in my bedroom a couple of yrs ago before I sealed the house up tighter. Mobile homes are notorious for not being snake proof. One of the neighbors had one in his bathroom too. Neighbor next door said he had one under the house when he crawled under to do some work and a man doing some work for me here killed one about 6 ft from my door. I kill rat snakes frequently because they get my eggs and young birds. There are also moccasins down by the creek.

I'm about ready to move back to Alaska. If I could afford it, that is where I'd go.

Archived