MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The Monkeys get a Life Lesson...

Vic303

So, my Monkeys have been enthralled to learn a pair of Mockingbirds have nested in the bayberry bush out front. They laid 4 eggs, all of which hatched. The Monkeys love sneaking up on the bush to peek in at the chicks while Mama Bird squawks loudly at us. But at least they haven't divebombed us. This morning, Monkey1 was insisting on climbing the oak out front, so as I had agreed to this, we started out the door, only to see a commotion at the bayberry bush! The adult mockingbirds were fighting with a larger bird around the nest site. Turned out this bigger bird was a Merlin falcon. We've seen the Merlin around for years but had never gotten a good ID on it until today.

The MB's attacked the falcon, but were unable to rescue the 1-2 chicks it swiped. Not sure how many it got, as I couldn't see clearly how many were clutched in its talons. There are 2 chicks left in the bayberry, one of which I had to chase around the street to finally herd into a bucket and dump back into the nesting bush for its safety. That way I didn't touch it. Adult MB's have since been seen going to the nest to feed the 2 noisy chicks. Neither remaining chick is ready to fly either. I didn't get a pic of the falcon, but I did cellphone pics of the remaining chicks. I will try to post them here if I can extract from the cellphone.

Monkeys are upset over the death of the mockingbird chicks, but think the falcon is really cool too...!

The survivors:

"Chased"

IMG00153.jpg

"Grumpy"

IMG00154.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ack! That would be a rather grim wildlife scene...stealing babies! :tapfoot: Hard for kiddos to get the Food Chain concept esp. when they've been watching the babies grow. Glad you were able to do a successful rescue. You looked big in their eyes after that, I'll bet! SuperMOM with bucket! :)

MtRider

The other day I was watching the birds drinking and scratching around for left over seed, when I noticed a road runner sitting still on one of the bricks around my garden. Suddenly he jumped up the tree, fluttered around and then shot to the ground. He had latched on to a young sparrow and was off to take it home.

I sat there slightly stunned, I knew they were carnivorous, but did not think they ate birds too. Opportunist, I assume.

I thought of this thread and wondered how your little ones are doing.

Archived