MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tattler Canning Jar Lids

Jeepers

Anyone have an opinion about the "new" jar lids? I just heard about them but they say they have been around since 1976. I saw some at Lehmans today and they were about $9.00 a dozen for regular mouth. :eek3: I didn't buy any. I just wondered if they would be cheaper in the long run. I'm thinking not... but I might be missing something.

http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/Products.html

I am not sold on them. Seems way too much money to me to buy plastic lids and then have to pay for the gasket, too. I got over 2,300 lids from Lehmans instead. They will last at least 5 years, maybe 7 or so.

To me the Tattler are just not worth the money. Then, if you want to can more you have to own a plastic lid for each jar ! It would cost me a ton of money for all I do. Pllus, if you give a jar away, there goes your lid.

True Violet about giving away a jar of food as a gift. Also, at some point you will still have to buy the bands once in awhile, when yours rust or get bent. I've never seen just bands for sale. They come with a lid.

I've heard lids last from 5-7 years but I've had some stored in my kitchen for about 10 years (Y2K :rolleyes:) and they look like I just brought them home from the store.

Violet, I've done what you have too and yes, Tattler is expensive. I have not seen the Tattlers before. I thought the entire lid system was reusable, but from what you're saying it sounds like it's not. Is that right?

This comes down to figuring how many lids I'll need for a year's worth of eating. I'd have to figure how many cans of green beans, etc. we'd use. Complex.

I have wondered if it might help regular lids last longer if they were vacuum sealed in Food Saver bags. This way the rubberized part would not be exposed to air. Has anyone heard of doing this before?

I have wondered if it might help regular lids last longer if they were vacuum sealed in Food Saver bags. This way the rubberized part would not be exposed to air. Has anyone heard of doing this before?

Hmmm, I'd like to know if anyone has an answer to that too, Tea! No air exposure and kept in a cool place???? :shrug: Anything to slow down the deterioration if we're storing in vast quantities.

MtRider :canning:

Sure the plastic lids are reusable and the rubberized gaskets may be for a few times. However, they will wear out and you have to throw them away. Their site says they MAY be reusable, not that they are ! That makes me have a red flag.

I just cannot justify spending money on them when I can buy regular lids and have them for years and years. That was my personal choice.

What if they stop selling the gaskets to the Tattler like they did years ago ? Then you have hundreds of dollars worth of just the plastic flats sitting there. They were sold in the 70's and then they stopped making them. I would rather have my stock in something that I know will work and not worry about having to find the gaskets later on.

I am not sure vacuum sealing the standard lids will help. You can keep them for 10 years anyway. It says 5 to 7 years, but I also have had some longer than that and had them keep fine. I also have no idea if putting in a mylar bag with O2 absorbers would extend the life of standard lids or not.

My gandmother just simmered her lids a little longer if the rubber was dried out too much. She said the simmering to sterilize them also softened up the rubber part for better sealing. Of course, she was so frugal she re-used metal lids (gasp!!) She also showed me how to use the metal lids with the red rubber gasket underneath, and she would re-use both after boiling, too. (double gasp!) She sure liked to boil things...

Archived