MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Precooked sausages

Wm.Mike

Hi

I want to make some picked sausage. If I take precooked sausage links put into jars cover them with vinegar and spices. I want to run these thru my pressure canner to be able to store on shelves. Anyone have a recomened time to process them at?

Thanks

Mike

It might depend on how thick they are? I can hamburger and ground pork for 'loose' (can't think of a better word) meat. I canned ground sausage once but the seasonings in it made it strong and a little bitter. Now I can plain ground pork and add sage etc. when I cook it. Pickeling it might not effect the spices. I know you are talking about links. This is a long way to say I'm not sure but when Violet checks in she will know for sure.

What I REALLY wanted to say is "Hi" and ----------> :welcome:

I don't know of a safe recipe to do what you want. The directions for canning sausage is for fresh ground not that type of sausage. If you can it for the 90 min. for meat I would think they would be awful. Cutting down on the processing time would not be safe, so that would not be an option.

Well guess the only way to find out is to try it. Using the 90 min process time should make them safe will just have to find out if it destroys the texture. i will process them for 90 min then cool and into the fridg until I can do a taste test. Is this different than canning meatballs or sausage patties.

Thanks

Mike

I canned both raw Johnsonville Brats last year as well as cooked smoked sausage. I browned the brats first and pressure canned them for 90 minutes. We did NOT like the texture at all. I will be using these in casseroles, soups, stews, etc but they are not good to just eat.

Please let me know how they turn out, but I have found I could not eat them as a pickled sausage.

Archived