MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning String Beans with Meat ???

YYY

Hi Violet

Thank you for your reply. I'll be using smoked turkey necks (my sister likes them). I'll let you know how they come out.

I have another question for you. So as to not confuse things, I will start another topic for that one.

Thanks again

YYY

I have never tried it, but I would anticipate the smoked meat would create a possible unpleasant taste when it is canned. You'll have to let us know how it turns out.

Oh man...I was thinking about smoked sausage canned with the green beans. But I'll bet you are right. I once canned regular sausage and it was sort of bitter. Not worth the effort. I think it was the sage.

BTW, I didn't make the sausage, it was store bought.

Hi again Everybody

This is my third time trying to post this. I hope it goes thru this time.

I came back to let you know how the string beans turned out. The string beans themselves were fine – not mushy at all.

Because of the above comments, I only made 2 jars. I put a turkey neck in both jars but only added ¼ teaspoon of salt to one jar. I thought the turkey necks would add flavor, taste, something.

The jar without salt was absolutely tasteless – even adding salt after opening, didn’t help much.

The jar with salt was much better.

I don’t know if I will can string beans like this again. I like yummy flavor. My sister wants to cut out salt.

I am open to any suggestions of getting flavor without salt.

Thanks

YYY

• 2 weeks later...

Archived