MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Did You Hear That Big Noise Around Noon?

Jeepers

It was just my credit card screaming! :cele:

It had a stellar day today.

I went to Lehmans and bought a bucket of corn and a bucket of wheat. They say it's pesticide and GMO free. Who really knows. I might buy another bucket of each later on. At least I didn’t have to pay for shipping. I also picked up a grinder. I bought the Lehmans Best because it said it was good for grinding corn which is probably what I’d be grinding the most. I thought about the Country Living one but it is so expensive and Lehmans doesn’t carry it in their store so I’d have to order it. I just hope I never have to use it. :rolleyes:

I also got a couple of books at the Christian book store while down there.

Wal-Mart was on the way home and I got a bunch of small stuff for my garage prep. Things like tire repair kit, screen door repair kit, nylon rope etc. I also got some extra shoe laces, matches and 2 small fire extinguishers.

At Walgreens I got baby wipes, honey and Sudafed for son’s upcoming winter sinus pain.

I also got about half of the things I need for son’s BOB. It should be done sometime next month. It’s just for getting him from his house to mine on foot if needed.

I really got a lot of small stuff (except for Lehmans) but it really made a big dent in my prep list.

And of course…it is still raining.

That sounds great! I have often looked at the Country Living one too, but can't get past the cost either. Be sure to let us know how you like the Lehman's grinder :) As for the rain, it's been raining all day here too :( Hoping it will stop by tomorrow, but I doubt it. BTW, Where is Lehman's located?

That sounds great! I have often looked at the Country Living one too, but can't get past the cost either. Be sure to let us know how you like the Lehman's grinder :) As for the rain, it's been raining all day here too :( Hoping it will stop by tomorrow, but I doubt it. BTW, Where is Lehman's located?

We have had nothing but rain here this year. 2.5 inches more and we will beat our all time record.

Lehmans is in Kidron, OH. just off of RT. 30 near Millersburg or Wooster or Massillon. Kidron is a tiny tiny Amish farm town. The fire department still blows the siren at noon so the farmers know it's time to go in for lunch. It's funny because the tourists look around for the fire trucks or ambulance to go by. But, they never do. Sometimes you can hear them say, "Oh-oh a fire!" :008Laughing:

I see you are in Indy. I'm a Hoosier too but was relocated to Oh. due to D-ex job transfer.

No rain at home for quite some time. This morning we had lots of wind as I packed the car and got on the road. Car traffic was very light, however semi truck traffic was unusually heavy. Noticed numerous semi trucks with military equipment heading west.

Texas is about as hot, in the mid '80's. Mil had just finished watering when I drove in. She's such a sweetheart, she had dinner already prepared.

Sounds like you got quite a bit there Jeepers.

Time for me to get some rest. She has plans for the next couple of days... including finding the alpaca farm and stopping by Stahmanns Farms. We shall see what else she has planned tomorrow.

Ahh good to see a fellow Hoosier! :) I google mapped it and it's about 7 1/2 hours away from us. (We're in SW IN) That would be a neat weekend trip! Hmmm.. possibly a 1 yr anniversary getaway??? Wonder what DH would think :pray:

AH - The farmers around here had just started getting their corn and beans up, then the rain came :shakinghead: We had a lot of losses in the spring from flooding too, so it's not looking too good. :shrug:

I was sitting here, jogged by the thought of BOB's and grabbed the wrong day pack the other day although it was set up as a get home bag. I am not supposed to even have a pocketknife on me or anyone else when we go to mha or on functions involving mha, which includes and often well over 200 mile round trip with picking up and dropping off people all over the northern part of my county and going to Plattsburgh, to go to Walmart, the mall or Sams club on shopping maybe once a month.....

well.... I grabbed the wrong day pack, and had just set up the other one for the day of classes, note taking, cell phone, trail mix handy if I needed something to eat, as it works ok with my blood sugar situation currently...... and the problem is having anything with us that might be used as a weapon is not allowed , even though they know some of us are either farmer, hunter, constantly working on stuff with our hands and its a rugged environment or prep minded , and its a long walk home from their building.

For me its a 12 mile walk if things happen suddenly and they are suddenly without vehicular use or desperate to get home themselves and just walk off themselves,

well i think I found something that will help me open those irritating one serving packages that I can no longer rip with my fingers or teeth .....

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___Helpers_and_Accessories___Utensils_and_Tools___6_Job_Multi_Opener___1047405?Args=

It also opens lots of jar sizes and looks really comfortable to hold and use, its small enough it shouldn't be a problem to put in my day pack and is quite rounded too so it should not disturb anything that might be a little fragile maybe.

I was in a quandary trying to figure out something other than a good locking blade knife I love using. I am not the one they are worried about, its the fact I could leave the pack on a chair and someone else might riffle through it in a moment of being really angry and find a knife I might have in there for that sudden emergency situation and they go use it on someone else or themselves. Its frustrating to realize how weak my hands are now, my fingers. It hurts to do anything include typing a lot of the time.

I think I will order two of these so I have one in my kitchen for daily usage and the other one for the pack.

If I see anyone there having a bad day that is known for acting out I go find something else to do. I don't go very much anymore and right now mostly just arranging for specific needs to help with some stuff anyway so I don't attend the classes regularly at all. Things so far have been able to be handled when someone acts out but you never really know now. Luckily there are lots of exits and I know them all, lol.

What bugs me is even a knitting needle can become a weapon for someone to stab someone in the eye and so far its ok to bring in knitting and crocheting. I finally have it lined up to bring mine in when I try socks the first time so one older lady who knows how to do socks is going to probably be there. I hope nothing bad happens but things are happening everywhere now and they have been forced to deal with the issue in as fair a way as they could think.

But between me and wherever I may be with them is a minimum of a dozen miles at least. At this point I can only walk maybe five miles at most, so that takes two long days with breaks. Just to get home , alot longer if we are further away, including high mountain ridges. I would need stuff to get through that on foot in the woods and sitting here debating weather to secure my favorite locking blade knife in a sewn in pocket that just looks like part of the pack were anyone to get nosy .... some people are stealing cigs or money sometimes.

unfortunately I had two daypacks side by side and in my rush to get out and go that morning I grabbed the total BOB pack. OOPS. yep, even left my cell phone sitting at home in the other bag I had just set up maybe half an hour earlier for the day.... I did not even realize I had the wrong pack until we were on the road again. It had a pocket knife in it I tend to be most comfortable using. It seems I need a cutting edge for the least little thing these days and I have been trying to find a replacement that is safe and not too small or too big for the pack and not something easily assumed it can be a weapon, if you look at the picture you will see what I mean. Sure you could probably torture someones little finger with it or something but I don't think anyone as goofed up as their brain chemistry might be at the moment would figure out how to use it as a weapon in the few moments they might see it if they found it sitting there.

It slits open those little individual packages that my hands and fingers really have a hard time with right now, as one example.

So maybe thats a good tool I can put in my pack, although a knife is really much better because its so purposeful in the outdoors especially and I have one thats good and sturdy with a wonderful edge and it bugs me that I cannot just put it in my pocket anytime I want around here and would help me in a survival situation to get home from where ever that vehicle may stop along with all vehicles generally if we get hit with an emp affect.

In fact a knife is the one thing one can do just about everything they would need to do or make in a bad situation if one is outside here. So this really bugs me.

They know those of us who are interested in outdoors or work with tools and such , or are concerned with getting home in case of a big emergency would prefer to carry a knife and yet its a liability, officially.

So this seems a compromise but I am still thinking the whole thing over. It will solve some of the issues but its not a total answer. At least I do not go in there much anymore. So that minimizes it but its that one day when we are on the road even further away where it really would be a hindrance since I can not travel a really long distance even on a good day for now. One would need a good knife with them.

But that kitchen tool looks more comfortable. for some of the stuff one runs across these days regarding packaging that really frustrates me even though its supposed to be easy as pie. My front upper teeth are a mess and I can't even bite through stuff much anymore until I get that resolved. So this seems good for that, because one can pack a lot of those individual packages for handy food and drink mix and heck if perchance the little store is still open by the time I walked into the tiny little town I might stop in and get the last drink or jar so it does open jars too... if I thought about it depending on the scenario and they are trying to unload stuff fast.

Any other implement or something I might have on me would be able to be used as a weapon because of some sharp part I am sure. ok, in a carry bag of its own because it blocks immediate sight of anyone riffling through my pack if they figured they had the time.... I can make that! Or organizer I may make for small stuff, if it has its own pocket I think the roundness of it would be enough disguising , so to speak.

So, what does anyone else think or have as input?

I think lehmans is terrific. Maybe I can make an order for Christmas time or something. Next month is already budgeted out already for needs. Wish I could just drive over there myself if I had a car and the money... maybe one day :sEm_blush:

Lehmans is in Kidron, OH. just off of RT. 30 near Millersburg or Wooster or Massillon. Kidron is a tiny tiny Amish farm town. The fire department still blows the siren at noon so the farmers know it's time to go in for lunch. It's funny because the tourists look around for the fire trucks or ambulance to go by. But, they never do. Sometimes you can hear them say, "Oh-oh a fire!" :008Laughing:

I see you are in Indy. I'm a Hoosier too but was relocated to Oh. due to D-ex job transfer.

The small town that I was raised in still sounds the siren at noon, too! A community near here still sounds their's at 6pm...maybe to alert folks to the dinner hour?

Lehmans is a great store but they sure are expensive. Of course they can be because they have things you can't get anywhere else. They also have bus loads of tourists shopping. One thing I don't understand though is why don't they have a fraction of what all they sell in the store, on their web site or in their catalog. I sort of understand the catalog; it would be the size of the Sears catalog. But I'd think they would put it all on the web site to make more sells.

I suppose they are doing okay with out my advice. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Arby, would a letter opener work for opening packets? I'm thinking one of the ones shaped like a credit card, with the blade on the inside. Hard for someone to consider it a weapon. I'm thinking of something like this: http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sbs_op_1

These ones are "cuter" and might be less suspicious: http://www.amazon.com/Baumgartens-Envelope-Slitter-Assorted-67130/dp/B0009FTZVQ/ref=pd_sbs_op_2

Archived