MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lemon balm

I do not know the dosage for a cancer patient. There are warnings about conflicting with thyroid medications and it causing drowsiness.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/lemon-balm-000261.htm

How to Take It:

Pediatric

Lemon balm may be used topically in children to treat cold sores. Speak to your health care provider for appropriate dosage for the child's age.

Adult

For difficulty sleeping, or to reduce indigestion, flatulence, or bloating, consult a knowledgeable health care provider for the specific dose to best fit your needs. Possible doses may be as follows:

Capsules: Take 300 - 500 mg dried lemon balm, 3 times daily or as needed.

Tea: 1.5 - 4.5 grams (1/4 - 1 teaspoonful) of dried lemon balm herb in hot water. Steep and drink up to 4 times daily.

Tincture: 60 drops of lemon balm daily

Topical: Apply topical cream to affected area, 3 times daily or as directed.

For cold sores or herpes sores, steep 2 - 4 teaspoonfuls of crushed leaf in 1 cup boiling water for 10 - 15 minutes. Cool. Apply tea with cotton balls to the sores throughout the day.

Precautions:

The use of herbs is a time honored approach to strengthening the body and treating disease. Herbs, however, contain components that can trigger side effects and interact with other herbs, supplements, or medications. For these reasons, you should take herbs with care, under the supervision of a health care provider qualified in the field of botanical medicine.

Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not take lemon balm.

Possible Interactions:

Lemon balm may potentially interact with the following medications:

Sedatives, thyroid medications -- Lemon balm may interact with sedatives and thyroid medications. If you are taking sedatives (for insomnia or anxiety) or medications to regulate your thyroid, ask your doctor before taking lemon balm.

HIV medications -- It is not clear whether lemon balm interacts with antiretroviral agents. At this time, avoid use of lemon balm if you're taking medication for HIV.

Alternative Names:

Balm mint; Blue balm; Garden balm; Honey plant; Melissa officinalis; Sweet balm

Reviewed last on: 3/5/2011

Steven D. Ehrlich, NMD, Solutions Acupuncture, a private practice specializing in complementary and alternative medicine, Phoenix, AZ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.

Read more: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/lemon-balm-000261.htm#ixzz1rszizQtm

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-437-LEMON%20BALM.aspx?activeIngredientId=437&activeIngredientName=LEMON%20BALM

LEMON BALM Dosing

The following doses have been studied in scientific research:

BY MOUTH:

For mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease: 60 drops per day of a standardized lemon balm extract, prepared 1:1 in 45% alcohol.

For improving sleep in healthy adults: a specific combination product providing 80 mg of lemon balm leaf extract and 160 mg of valerian root extract (Euvegal forte, Schwabe Pharmaceuticals) 3 times daily for up to 30 days has been used. This same combination product, given once or twice daily, has been used for improving sleep in children.

For upset stomach (dyspepsia): a specific combination product containing lemon balm (Iberogast, Medical Futures, Inc) and several other herbs has been used in a dose of 1 mL three times daily over a period of 4 weeks. The combination includes lemon balm plus peppermint leaf, German chamomile, caraway, licorice, clown's mustard plant, celandine, angelica, and milk thistle.

For colic in breast-fed infants: a specific multi-ingredient product containing 164 mg of fennel, 97 mg of lemon balm, and 178 mg of German chamomile (Colimil) twice daily for a week.

APPLIED TO THE SKIN:

For cold sores (herpes labialis): the cream or ointment containing 1% of a 70:1 freeze-dried water-soluble extract is usually applied two to four times daily from first sign of symptoms to a few days after the cold sores have healed.

Is lemon balm suppose to be a treatment for cancer? I have been doing ALOT of reading lately and haven't seen it mentioned. I have read and seen quite a bit on foods that fight cancer. William Li has a good film on Youtube about certain foods starving cancer....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9bDZ5-zPtY&feature=share

I find this very interesting. At approx 12min. he starts discussing the effects of our diets on disease and at 13:48 it gives a chart of food/vitamins/herbs that are as effective as 'cancer drugs' in fighting cancer.

Blessings,

bb

Studies were actually done with lemon grass, but I can't get any right now. Lemon balm has the same active ingredient and I can get that so I'm trying it while I get some lemon grass growing. I've ordered seed for the grass and the balm. See which grows better for me.

Be sure to grow it in a contained container!

There was some growing at the side of my house when I moved here. The people before me planted lemon balm, chives, sage and a couple of other plants to make an herb garden.

The lemon balm grew and grew. It sends out shoots underground unseen for a few years. Long story short... after I was here about 7 years it started coming up all over the yard. I live in a subdivision and had to keep it under control. It was becoming an eyesore because it looked like weeds all over my yard. Then it started heading over to my neighbors yard.

I dug it up and poured Roundup all through the bed then covered it up with a garbage bag and a layer of mulch. I couldn't kill it because the root system was all under the yard. It was popping up yards (feet) away from the original plant. Then that pop up was making underground roots. I had to hire a lawn care company to come do weed control. After about 10 years of using them, it still pops up every year. If it wasn't for the lemon balm, I wouldn't have to pay the lawn care company every year. It has cost me a lot of money over the years just to keep the roots under control. It still comes up between the lines of my cement walkway beside the house and the cement patio slab behind the house.

This was long winded but do be careful where and how you plant it. Also, I know you have goats and I don't know if it would effect their milk or not as it is in the mint family. On the plus side...it smells wonderful.

blest, excellent video of applied science to the treatment of cancer. If you can watch the video she posted, please do. It just provided some very interesting and simple answers, and all the explanations of how it works!

DH was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago with cancer. He'll be having surgery this next week and we are praying that is contained. In every book we have it talks about the benefits of diet and lifestyle changes. I linked to WIlliam Li's info in the video above from a video by David Servan-Schreiber, MD, PHD (Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life). We made a lot of the changes over the last month based on all the reading and research we've done..both DH and I have lost about 20+lbs. and our blood pressure and my diabetes has greatly improved.

Archived