MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

parboil rice v.white rice

http://www.outofstress.com/is-parboiled-rice-healthy/ Maybe this article will answer part of your question about the difference in the rices. I don't know which one is better to store, but I would like to find out also. I asked the question about storing jasmine rice and no one answered, so I will keep looking and maybe find out. I do know that brown rice does not store well for long periods of time.

Parboiled retains most of the natural vitamins as it is not polished like white rice. The white rice needs that powdered coating to return the vitamins lost in polishing.

The parboiled will stay good almost as long as the white if it is kept in mylar with O2 absorbers in a reasonably cool, dry spot.

When you cook the rice, IMHO the parboiled doesn't take longer to cook, but it does stay in separate grains rather than sticking together. I much prefer the parboiled as I hate sticky, clumpy rice.

I let the parboiled soak for 1/2 -1 hr before turning the heat on, bring it to a good rolling boil, cover and turn off the heat. 2 parts water to 1 part rice, salt to your preference. Let it set covered for 1/2 hr or so till the water is absorbed.

:lol: "Sticky rice" is handy if you are 1) eating with chopsticks and 2) making something like sushi.

Edited to add: Actually, it would be interesting to find out if the different kinds on rice grains have different storage lengths. [as opposed to the current questioned raised about the processing of rice] There is long grain [most of what is grown in USA]. Also medium grain [Calrose, etc] Jasmine rice might be in that category, Trudy. Then there is short grain...at least one rice in that category is Asian sweet rice. [VERY sticky]

All the really depends on what you want to use it for. Sweet rice is used in different ways than accompanying meat and veggies. The taste really is quite different between types. [i'd have to be hungry to eat Uncle Ben's! :shakinghead: ]

But what type of rice and what processing of rice lasts longest? :shrug: Other than the already-mentioned factor of brown rice containing oils that will go rancid faster...I don't think I've ever heard that. [i'll check out that site, Trudy]

One more bit of information. If you are getting rice from Asia, don't assume that the white powdered stuff is vitamin enrichment. It might be talc....to make the grains slide and pour better. We've always rinsed rice before cooking [thus, the rice washer sieves available in Asian markets]. An LDS friend got me up to speed on the enrichment powder or I'd have been washing all that off too. Now I have to know which rice I'm using. :lol:

MtRider [..we only eat sticky Asian rice...for reasons of flavor!!!! :yum3: ]

Archived