MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The bad news from the wacky weather in March

I just ran and picked up strawberries at the berry farm, they are much better than last weeks, by the way.

I talked to one of the girls that has been there awhile specifically about sweet peas. She said the crop in Michigan was completely destroyed and they are trying to grow some in their fields but they aren't sure if they are going to have any. So the door was open :whistling: and I asked about the rest of the crops from Michigan. Her response - no cherries at all, apples and peaches were destroyed (she was waiting from one farm for both but they weren't hopeful.). Blackberries and raspberries are fine. She didn't know anything about pears since they don't sell them. She also didn't know anything about the grape crops but I know from an article I read they were concerned about them, too.

Which means, of course, that peaches from Georgia and other parts will be MUCH higher, as well as apples from other places like the Northwest.

If you use lots of applesauce and apple juice for the kidlets, buy it on sale *NOW*.

:(

Peaches are on sale at one of the local chains. $.99#. I'm going to go pick up several pounds,at least 10, and try to see how much I can do. I need to freeze, dry, check my jam supply and make peach lemonade concentrate.

Prices are starting to climb here too.

We are trying to find a cheap source for apples (Cortland) for making our apple sauce, our place to go to every year says NO apples this year due to weather problems.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

What? No apples?!?!!! I usually get mine from Beak & Skiff. I can't imagine that the lack of winter has ruined the apple crop...Say it ain't so, Michael!!!