MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Storing Rice

Hi all! I recently bought a 25lb bag of rice, and not necessarily for super long storage but for about a year's worth of food, I was planning to store them in some containers my aunt saved for me from the school cafeteria she works in. They are 1 gallon plastic containers that were originally filled with ranch dressing (they are food grade plastic), and they have screw on lids. I will be storing them in my dirt-floor basement that is almost completely dry (using a dehumidifier to keep it as dry as possible). My question is, should I use some sort of barrier under the lid to help seal it, like wax paper or something?? I am so new to this food storage thing, and I just don't know. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

After you fill the containers, rotate each one thru the freezer for a week or two to kill any insect eggs. Take some duct tape and seal around the outside of the lid. If you can get some moisture absorbers to go in the containers, it would be good.

Great advice! I didn't even think of duct tape around it! I did consider moisture absorbers as well, just haven't gotten any yet. I will have to try to make some room in my freezer for them one at a time...it is so chock full!! lol

After using the duct tape, run another "bead" around with the tape turned outside, so if any insects try to cross they get "stuck". Check often and replace the "barrier" tape. I would also consider setting glue pads around the basement area to arrest any mice or bugs.

Edited by Philbe

My basement has a cement floor. I just put some extra 2x4's (I think that was the size I had) down and sat the buckets on them. They were narrow and the whole bucket didn't fit. They were too tippy to stack.

Then I started getting more and more buckets etc. and bought some 'Dri Core' to lay down. It's wood composition on top with molded plastic ridges on the bottom. I bought 6 and it made a great subfloor for keeping buckets and other things up off the floor and high and dry. I also brushed on some polyurethane to protect the unfinished wood. They sort of snap together. Any big box hardware store sells them.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_173869-21607-0001_0__?productId=1043515&Ntt=dri+core&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Ddri%2Bcore&facetInfo=