MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

confidence to can and questions

So after having it for 2 1/2 years, we finally tested out the AA canner. I'm very nervous about canning. I have the AA, 2 water bath canners, the tools, jars and books, but we just haven't done it yet.

So, we pulled the AA out last weekend and tried it out (not canning), just to see how everything works. We put water in it to try it out, all while carefully following the booklet.

We were going to vent it for 7 minutes, but didn't notice right away that steam WAS coming out, but finely. I thought it would be a stronger steam, like a tea kettle. So that's something to pay closer attention to when we do can.

We put the weight on and WAITED and WAITED for it to jiggle. DH and I were debating what the "jiggling" was. It was making a very, very quiet noise. We weren't sure it that was it. Then, it DID JIGGLE. I about jumped out of my skin!

On the cooling down part, when the dial has reached zero and you take off the weight, the booklet says to "remove it slowly". We're not quite understanding how to do that slowly??

My other question is on canning chicken using the raw pack method:

--The Ball book (2009 100th Anniversary edition with a peach desert on the cover) on page 67 has you ladle hot water or broth into the jars over the meat.

--The So Easy To Preserve book on page 91, under Raw Pack for Poultry, says "Do not add liquid."

Actually, it looks they tell you not to add liquid for raw packing other meats as well.

Which is correct? Or are both? Which does Violet recommend?

To remove the weight slowly I grab it with my jar lifter and very slowly raise it ever so slightly. If there is any pressure in the canner I can hear it (a hiss) and I then lower the weight. I then check it about every 5 minutes until there is no sound (hiss).

As to the chicken question, I do not add any liquid to mine. I remember reading that Violet adds liquid to her jars.

:wormie2:

John

Congratulations on finely trying to test out your pressure canner. It's a lesson on patience since the whole process of warming up, etc., takes lots of time and you can't take shortcuts to make it quicker. I use the HIGH setting on the stove through the venting and build up of pressure. The amount of steam/air you see will depend on how hot the water has gotten. Mine sputters with a combination of air and steam for awhile and then settles into a more solid stream of steam.

The more you practice/do it the more comfortable you will become in using your canners.

I love canning chicken and beef since it is so simple. I go both ways regarding the broth/water, but if my jars are packed solid I generally don't bother adding extra liquid. It's a personal preference. A lot of people will brown their meat before going into the jars also, which will add more flavor. Experiment and taste later to see what you and your family like the best.

Please, do not follow the canner booklet. You must vent a full 10 min. not 7. There is still too much air inside the canner at 7 min. and your gauge can register incorrectly, leaving your food underprocessed. It should be a steady stream of steam, it usually is quite strong. Run a string or something through the vent pipe first or a pipe cleaner and be sure it is really good and clean before you put the lid on.

Be sure you put in a depth of 3 inches of water before the jars go in, too. Some books say only 2 or 3 quarts and you can run your canner dry with such a small amount.

The AA canners just jiggle every once in a while, not steady like the Presto do.

They just mean to lift up on the weight slightly in case there is still pressure. You want to put it back down if it still hisses from steam.

You can do either way with the meats, but you will have moister meats and a nice broth to use if you can with broth. I suggest that method.

It seems to take forever for my canner to vent but it finally does with a stream of steam that looks like a locomotive.

I err on the side of caution when it comes to the water in the canner. I don't want it to run dry and ruin my canner or food. I usually fill it about a third of the way up the jars. Probably why it takes longer to vent but I'm okay with that.

I have a 1970's Mirro canner and it doesn't have to jiggle constantly either.

My weighted dial is one of the round ones. It has three holes in it. I can stick a fork tine in one of the holes and press down on the dial and it will gently tell me if there is any more steam in the canner. It just takes a little nudge. I use the fork method to put the dial on after venting too.

This is what my dial (regulator) looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Mirro-S-9898-pressure-regulator/dp/B000U7QEXK

Thank you so much for all the advice!! I think we'll try again with just water in the canner (not jars) to get used to it. I'd rather have it all figured out before we actually attempt canning in it.

Thanks for explaining how/when to take the weight off!!

Violet, I'm making a note about venting for the 10 minutes instead of 7.

Jeepers, the weight on my AA looks like the one you linked. We'll try it with the fork.