MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How Long's it Good For?

My DH and I are reorganizing, moving around, and rotating our food storage today. I have several quarts of russet potatoes that I canned back in September of 2010, and several pints of carrots that I canned in May of 2011. Will those still be okay to eat? My potatoes have a lot of starch on the bottom of the jars, but I'm figuring that's pretty normal since they're a pretty starchy food! :) I'm just seeking reassurance, I guess...I've eaten chicken that I canned back in 2010 and it was still wonderful...just haven't tied into those veggies yet.

Thanks in advance for any opinions/expertise on this subject! :thumbs:

Awesome! I wouldn't have thought to have rinsed them. We've started dehydrating potatoes much more than canning them -- it seems to be a much more efficient use of space to keep them dry instead of canned. But I want my quart jars back!!! I have tons of chicken to can! I see a stew in my near future, made with home-canned potatoes and carrots. :) Thanks so much, guys!

No midnightmom, you remove the screw on bands.

After the jars are completely cooled down, (I usually wait at least 12 hours) you remove the bands. Then you wash the jars well (I use a soapy dish cloth) to remove any food that may have been forced from the jar during canning. Especially around the top of the jar where the ridges are. Then I rinse and dry the jar and store it away. Then I wash and dry the bands.

The screw on bands can be used over and over again as long as they aren't bent or rusty.