MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Remembering 2012

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia....ang_Syne#Lyrics

The song begins by posing a rhetorical question as to whether it is right that old times be forgotten, and is generally interpreted as a call to remember long-standing friendships

Old Long Syne

by James Watson (1711)

Should Old Acquaintance be forgot,

and never thought upon;

The flames of Love extinguished,

and fully past and gone:

Is thy sweet Heart now grown so cold,

that loving Breast of thine;

That thou canst never once reflect

on Old long syne.

CHORUS:

On Old long syne my Jo,

in Old long syne,

That thou canst never once reflect,

on Old long syne.

My Heart is ravisht with delight,

when thee I think upon;

All Grief and Sorrow takes the flight,

and speedily is gone;

The bright resemblance of thy Face,

so fills this, Heart of mine;

That Force nor Fate can me displease,

for Old long syne.

CHORUS

Since thoughts of thee doth banish grief,

when from thee I am gone;

will not thy presence yield relief,

to this sad Heart of mine:

Why doth thy presence me defeat,

with excellence divine?

Especially when I reflect

on Old long syne

CHORUS

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

English Translation

Should old acquaintance be forgot,

and never brought to mind ?

Should old acquaintance be forgot,

and old lang syne ?

CHORUS:

For auld lang syne, my dear,

for auld lang syne,

we'll take a cup of kindness yet,

for auld lang syne.

And surely you'll buy your pint cup !

and surely I'll buy mine !

And we'll take a cup o' kindness yet,

for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We two have run about the slopes,

and picked the daisies fine ;

But we've wandered many a weary foot,

since auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We two have paddled in the stream,

from morning sun till dine & dagger;

But seas between us broad have roared

since auld lang syne.

CHORUS

And there’s a hand my trusty friend !

And give us a hand o' thine !

And we'll take a right good-will draught,

for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

As we all prepare for the end of 2012 and as we make plans for the new year, I would like to tell all my 'long-standing friendships', everyone here at MrsSurvial.com,

Thank You!

...for putting up with me when the site crashed and we upgraded it.

And, I'm looking forward to a better year in 2013!

Remembering 2012......

What stands out to you this year?

For me the things that stand out from 2012 are the lessons learned -- I've had some personal transformations, that while are not obvious to all or what the world would consider amazing feats, are important (and dare I say life changing) for me. I've learned a lot about myself, and others in my life, and that's been eye-opening.

On a personal level, in 2013 I want to start fresh in a way, shedding all of the old baggage once and for all, giving it up to the Lord (and this time not rush back to get it all back from Him), and positive change.

Two things for 2012. First, that my 14yo dd is no longer a child and I have to learn new ways to relate to her. Recent events have reminded me that while life with our loved ones is a very precious thing, it can be fleeting. So I remind myself of the old homeschool mantra, teach them like it is your last year with them/love them like it is their last year with you.

The second thing is that although I think of myself as a fairly prepared person, when we were without power for 10 days last summer during the derecho event, I realized how badly I had dropped the ball with my preps organizationally. I needed things that I knew I had, but in a few cases it took me a day or so to lay my hands on the items. That drove me crazy. I have tried since then to make some inroads on getting things better organized, but still have a long ways to go.

2012...the good the bad and the ugly...

It was a life changing year for us. #3 son got married, we both quit out jobs thinking we were moving to TN only at the last moment had that dream shattered, ended up in Texas. Which turned out to be a much better move for us. All I can say is bring on 2013 with the Good Lord's help we can handle anything thrown at us...ok so the Lord can handle anything thrown at us you will find me curl in a blubbering ball in the corner while He slays the dragons.

One of the many things I learned, this past year, is I have very little control over most of my life, that God IS in control of it. I would like to forget the painful events, and the hard roads I traveled at times. One of today's studies reminded me of that.

(12/27/12)"...

I need to be more thankful for all the little things. They do not amount to much, but it is the little things that seem to make everything a little better. Like, we have a roof over our heads, even tho it leaks. We have running water in the desert, even tho the pipes need to be replaced, we have electric that runs the AC that keeps us cool, even tho it needs to be updated, we have soil we can grow a garden in, even tho what grows in it is miniature. I could go on and on, 'nuf said. So, I have told myself to focus on the positive instead of the negative. Maybe, by being more thankful for everything that is good, it will help me to give what I can not control to God to take care of.

I am also very grateful for the fellowship and encouragement everyone here gives. That, in itself, is a priceless gift I cherish.

2012...lots of "events" came into my life, and most of them were not my own making. Figure it's God's way of saying "Philbe, you're prepared...mentally and emotionally as well as other ways." How did I get prepared? Life. Being well over 60 you learn a few things, beinging widowed after 42 years you learn a few things, raising two kids you learn a few things, taking care of a disabled first husband for 26 years until his death, you learn a few things. Meeting Mountain Man and knowing it was a God-thing...I've learned things. Dirty socks at the foot of the bed? No sweat! Lots of laundry? No sweat! Dirty dishes? No sweat! Out of debt...NO SWEAT! Healthy...wonderful...and no sweat! Trusting God for 2013 knowing that He calls us His children, and we've been bought with a huge price. The steps of a righteous man are ordered by the Lord. So...here I come Lord!