MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating Baby Lima Beans

I want to dehydrate some baby lima beans. I only want to do about a quart or two. I want to add them to the dried veggie mix I already have. I'm not too concerned about the cost because I want to do so few of them. So, how would you do them?

1. Buy frozen beans and dehydrate them? Are they already cooked when you rehydrate them? I think they are? My other frozen veggies are. I'm ashamed to admit I don't know. Sigh.

2. Buy dried packages, cook them and then dehydrate them like is done with soup/kidney beans?

3. Buy cans of beans, rinse them and then dehydrate them?

4. It can't be done and you are crazy for even thinking about it. No one likes lima beans anyway.

I'm leaning toward #1 but #4 is a close second.

Thank you Violet! :bouquet:

I'll get some frozen ones. It's so easy to put them in the dehydrator and forget about them for a few hours. I don't think I'd care for them by themselves but I do like an occasional one in mixed veggies. I pick them out of veggie soup and eat them last to savor them. Yes, I sometimes often eat vegetable soup one vegetable at a time. :pout:

Well, the verdict is still out on my dehydrated lima beans. They didn't shrink up as much as I thought they would so adding them to my other mixed veggies may not work as well as I thought. I think they might stick out like a sore thumb with the others. Not sure yet.

I popped one in my mouth to let it rehydrate and the first thing I noticed, after awhile, was how the skin separated from the bean. So there are two parts to the bean. I ate the bean part so I'm not sure how soft the actual beans will be once properly rehydrated. The skin was pretty tough. I need to try the experiment again when I'm not so anxious for results.

I think if I can pick out enough tiny ones, I'll add them. If not I'll just jar them up and use them with cooked ham or smoked sausage.

Edited for spelling.

The skin wasn't pretty though - it was pretty tough. :misc-smiley-231:

Edited by Jeepers