MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Illegal GMO Wheat in Kraft Mac & Cheese?

this seemed like the most appropriate forum for this topic.

It seems that I have a problem-sort of. I have "tons" of Kraft Mac & Cheese in my preps. I bought it over the last 18 mos. or so, every time it was on sale!

I mainly buy it not for the pasta, but for the cheese packs. It seemed to me to be the best solution for solving the "how do I store cheese long term" issue.

I used to save the pasta and give it to friends and neighbors, etc. Guess now the only thing the pasta is good for is arts & crafts projects.
========================================================

Illegal GMO Wheat in Kraft Mac & Cheese?
...by Food Babe

Kraft Mac & Cheese is made with Genetically Modified Wheat.

Below is a picture of the warning label that is placed on a box of Macaroni and Cheese (the same one we buy here) imported into the UK from the United States. The UK and other European countries require a warning label if a product contains artificial food dyes and/or GMOs. This label has a warning for both! You must be wondering how the heck did I get this box of Mac & Cheese… this is where having so many wonderful readers across the globe is quite amazing. Someone actually sent this to me after I saw them post a picture of it on Kraft’s facebook page (Thank you Flo!!!). This box of Mac & Cheese is available and sold in a special imported “international food” section in a grocery store called Tesco. The box clearly states that it is from the US – specifically “Northfield, Illinois.”

On the label of Kraft Mac & Cheese there are 2 different warnings:

Warning #1: This Product May Cause Adverse Effects On Activity And Attention In Children (This warning label is required because The US version of Kraft Mac & Cheese has artificial food dyes yellow #5 and yellow #6 which are proven to be linked to hyperactivity in children.)

Warning #2: GMO Declaration: Made from genetically modified wheat. (May contain GMO) (This warning label is required because the US version of Kraft Mac & Cheese contains GMOs.)

Please note: It is uncertain at this time who places these warning labels on products once they are imported into the UK and this is something I am still investigating. I know it is not the grocery store themselves and not Kraft, but likely the importer/distribution company.

Kraft-Mac-spelled-correctly-2-with-arrow

If Kraft is using illegal GMO wheat in Mac & Cheese – are they using it in the rest of their products too? This alone is reason enough to boycott this company – As if we didn’t have enough reasons before.

http://foodbabe.com/2013/05/30/illegal-gmo-wheat-in-kraft-mac-cheese/

I have a bunch of tvp ( soy based), there is not much one can do in products you already have , but it bothers me too. I will keep it and use it as necessary. There are so many foods that are gmo, one ingredient or multiple ingredients, its a real mess and hard to screen out if you are not wealthy and can research and be sure of what you have or buy fresh and prep it totally yourself.

regarding the cheese, I've heard that the powdered cheese that Honeyville sells is a lot like the kraft ~ I bought some but haven't tried it yet. It seemed like a good value/option to me.

as for the gmo in the kraft ~ I think at this point, we don't really know what is or isn't GMO at this point. I for one don't trust the companies to be upfront with what they're doing with the food. I've got a bunch of it too, but when we use it, we use the entire contents. We cannot afford to not use the pasta for food, so at this point I am just using what we have, and trying to make wiser choices for the future. Like Arby said though, it's a mess to sort out, who knows what is in what anymore

In a related subject - the main stream media is actually reporting this one !

U.S. farmer lawsuit filed against Monsanto over GMO wheat

d0c3eb8ca18907492a4b337b5cec5193.jpegBy Carey Gillam | Reuters – Thu, Jun 6, 2013

By Carey Gillam

(Reuters) - American wheat farmers and a food safety advocacy group filed a lawsuit Thursday against biotech seed developer Monsanto Co, accusing the company of failing to protect the U.S. wheat market from contamination by its unauthorized wheat.

The petition, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington, seeks class-action status to represent other farmers it says were harmed by lower wheat prices as some foreign buyers have shied away from U.S. wheat.

It names Clarmar Farms Inc., farmer Tom Stahl, and the Center for Food Safety as plaintiffs.

The suit follows a similar action filed Monday by a Kansas wheat farmer, alleging that he and other growers have been hurt financially by the discovery of an unapproved biotech wheat that Monsanto said it stopped testing and shelved nine years ago.

Two other farmers lodged a similar lawsuit in federal court in the western district of Washington state.

The lawsuits come after the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced May 29 that a wheat farmer in Oregon had discovered Monsanto's experimental wheat growing on his farm.

More at site -

http://news.yahoo.com/u-farmer-lawsuit-filed-against-monsanto-over-gmo-211137749.html

Aiieee..... Thanks for the heads up, Midnight!

:sigh: I hate for the grocery shopping to be EVEN MORE of a chore than it already is but.....I will look for the label now. <_< ....realizing that the label may or may not :tapfoot: be accurate.

Oddly enough, the Annie's brand was on sale when I picked up some recently. If accurate.....their label states they source only certified non-GMO and Oregon Organic wheat. :shrug: It makes me happy I spent ten cents extra for the hope in the Annie's brand ...rather than the certainty of the Kraft brand. [should have gotten some more] We use these as HooeyHitFan nights when neither of us is physically capable of cooking [we do not live within a "delivery" area] and we must eat something! We add other things like meat [tuna/ham/etc] and onions, peas, broc., etc.

:behindsofa: Sheeeeeesh, it's getting skerrier and skerrrrier out there. :yar:

MtRider -- and us in a drought which negates gardening attempts.... :pray:

In a related subject - the main stream media is actually reporting this one !

U.S. farmer lawsuit filed against Monsanto over GMO wheat

d0c3eb8ca18907492a4b337b5cec5193.jpegBy Carey Gillam | Reuters – Thu, Jun 6, 2013

By Carey Gillam

(Reuters) - American wheat farmers and a food safety advocacy group filed a lawsuit Thursday against biotech seed developer Monsanto Co, accusing the company of failing to protect the U.S. wheat market from contamination by its unauthorized wheat.

The petition, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington, seeks class-action status to represent other farmers it says were harmed by lower wheat prices as some foreign buyers have shied away from U.S. wheat.

It names Clarmar Farms Inc., farmer Tom Stahl, and the Center for Food Safety as plaintiffs.

The suit follows a similar action filed Monday by a Kansas wheat farmer, alleging that he and other growers have been hurt financially by the discovery of an unapproved biotech wheat that Monsanto said it stopped testing and shelved nine years ago.

Two other farmers lodged a similar lawsuit in federal court in the western district of Washington state.

The lawsuits come after the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced May 29 that a wheat farmer in Oregon had discovered Monsanto's experimental wheat growing on his farm.

More at site -

http://news.yahoo.com/u-farmer-lawsuit-filed-against-monsanto-over-gmo-211137749.html

This is very good news! Usually it is Monsanto suing the farmer's for violating their "patent" when GMOs are found on their farms.