MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Pressure Cooked Beans

Can pressure cooked beans be canned? I can have fully cook beans (Great Northern) in the electric pressure cooker in 3-4 minutes, according to the manual. Then can these be canned? It would sure beat the hours of soaking and cooking the other way. Half a jar of beans add to it a half a jar of liquid and can in the pressure canner?

I've canned fully cooked beans many times. You can fill the jar to just below headspace, then top with liquid, being extra careful to remove air (since they're larger & a little more compacted together from being soft & cooked. The only thing is- if you don't like mushy/super soft beans, this won't be for you. They will get MUCH softer in the canner.

I have too but you still have to do the soak/cook then dehydrate. Well, I guess you don't have to now. Just pressure cook them first then dehydrate.

I really like soup in the winter and I want to open a jar, heat it and eat it. Laaa-zeee.

By the way, my electric pressure cooker says to add some oil to the beans and water. And do not add salt until after they are cooked. This helps prevent foaming and clogging the blow hole ( I can't remember what that spout is called). :misc-smiley-231:

WARNING: I don't know about using a regular pressure cooker that you use on the stove. These two appliances seem to work a little differently from each other. Check your manual or Google before you try it. I am only talking about an electric pressure cooker!

The ratio for an electric pressure cooker is:

3 Cups Water

1 Cup Beans

1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil (per cup of water)

NO SALT

Cook 3-4 minutes.

Thanks to Canned Nerd for putting me on to the cooker. I've used it a lot in prep work to canning and making cabbage/potatoes to eat. :bow:

I have too but you still have to do the soak/cook then dehydrate. Well, I guess you don't have to now. Just pressure cook them first then dehydrate.

I really like soup in the winter and I want to open a jar, heat it and eat it. Laaa-zeee.

By the way, my electric pressure cooker says to add some oil to the beans and water. And do not add salt until after they are cooked. This helps prevent foaming and clogging the blow hole ( I can't remember what that spout is called). :misc-smiley-231:

WARNING: I don't know about using a regular pressure cooker that you use on the stove. These two appliances seem to work a little differently from each other. Check your manual or Google before you try it. I am only talking about an electric pressure cooker!

The ratio for an electric pressure cooker is:

3 Cups Water

1 Cup Beans

1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil (per cup of water)

NO SALT

Cook 3-4 minutes.

Thanks to Canned Nerd for putting me on to the cooker. I've used it a lot in prep work to canning and making cabbage/potatoes to eat. :bow:

I also love my "pressure cooker" but it's a stove top model and has a lovely teflon lining. I've never seen one like it since I purchased it many moons ago. I also plan to use it in my "wonder oven" when MM gets it put together for me! LOL

Edited by Philbe

The electric one is coated too and I really like that feature. I've never seen a coated cooker for the stovetop though. I'd hang on to that one! I never had a regular size pressure cooker. I always had to use the big canner. What a pain to clean. Especially when I cooked beef and noodles. Pressure the beef wait...wait...wait and then cook the noodles unpressured. Then cleaning up that big pot. Ugh.