MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How I "Rescued" my Canning Session

I had some 5 lb bags of boneless skinless chicken breasts that I bought at the beginning of the year. I was inspired to try raw packing due to a vid I watched over on Sutton's Daze, so I defrosted a bag and also a bag of legs (w/ back attached which I knew I didn't want to tackle raw packing.

I got my jars washed and ready, including the lids and rings and just set them aside since they needed to be a room temp for this project, and proceeded to cut up the chix. When I started to fill up the jars all I got was THREE pint jars - my canner holds nine  :canning:  - and there was no way I was going to process just THREE jars!

So, here's the "rescue" part: I was pretty sure that I shouldn't refrigerate the jars with the raw chicken in it because I couldn't be sure of even temps for the contents when I began again, so I emptied the chix into a container and put it in the fridge and washed the jars, etc, again. THEN I dug out the other 2 bags of chix that I had in the freezer. It in now in the bathtub :bathbaby:  (in a bucket) with water running on it to defrost it so I can proceed with processing a FULL canner of chix breast. (Will probably wait until tomorrow to do it though.) :sleep1:

YEAH me! :eclipsee_Victoria:

• Like 4

Good job. Ugly chicken isn't always the prettiest but it is absolutely gorgeous when you need some good food! Glad you are getting your pantry stocked up. 

Hummm, I think I'll try some raw pack chicken in some half pint jars to have on hand. Would be nice to have some bigger chunks of chicken. I have some cooked shredded pints but I think g'son would come closer to eating chunks. So would I with some Sweet Baby Rays on the side for dunking sauce. Could probably squash two whole breasts in a half pint jar. Maybe cut in two to help with air pockets. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Good job. Ugly chicken isn't always the prettiest but it is absolutely gorgeous when you need some good food! Glad you are getting your pantry stocked up. 

Hummm, I think I'll try some raw pack chicken in some half pint jars to have on hand. Would be nice to have some bigger chunks of chicken. I have some cooked shredded pints but I think g'son would come closer to eating chunks. So would I with some Sweet Baby Rays on the side for dunking sauce. Could probably squash two whole breasts in a half pint jar. Maybe cut in two to help with air pockets. 

I can quite a bit of chicken in half-pint jars. It's perfect for the two of us for a chicken salad sandwich. Now that mom lives with us, I just add other fillers to the salad and stick with the half-pints. I think we lived too long in the 'meat-scarce' European countries. Can't imagine what they're like today.  :buttercup:

• Like 1