MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Important Announcement!

Darlene

We're still in the planning and organizing stages, and at some point I will send out a site wide email, but I wanted to give the membership a heads up, and any lurkers that have not joined MrsSurvival yet...

In an effort to (in a weird way it feels) keep up with the times, we're going to be adding some security levels to our site. What this will mean is that we will be taking a large portion of the site (or at least I'm seriously considering taking a large portion of the site) and requiring that the person sign into their MrsS's account in order to gain entrance to these portion of our website.

Right now, regardless of whether you are a member or not, and regardless of whether you are signed into your MrsSurvival account, everyone and anyone can view the entire site. I'm not comfortable with that anymore, so Annarchy and I, as well as the Moderators, are in discussions as to how much of the site will be taken down to a more secure level that will require either joining MrsS, or will require you to sign into your account in order to view all of the forums.

I'm giving everyone a heads up as we work on this and we will keep you posted as to the progress. I've been thinking about this for a while and think it's time to make this change. It won't be difficult, it won't be a massive change, and it won't require anything more than either joining MrsSurvival if you're not a member, or, signing into your existing account.

If you have any questions or if what I've written above has confused you, please please feel free to ask any questions. My hope is that y'all will understand the reasons why and will feel even more comfortable, because that is very important to all of us.

Thanks!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

I think the "free viewing" should be limited to the "Sunporch," the "Humor" forum, and the "Kitchen/Recipes/Preserving" forum. Most posting in those threads don't reveal a lot of personal info. With that in mind, perhaps it would no longer be a good idea to share pictures of your preps, pantry, etc in the Kitchen/etc threads and save those types of posts for the "Are You Really Ready?" forum. :scratchhead:

(I didn't know the site was publicly visible as I always log in by habit.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Midnightmom, as it stands, everything above the DIY forum is for public display. And I agree 100% about posting pictures of our preps these days! In fact I had some remorse about posting the picture of my freezer. Heck, I even listed the contents. I mentioned to Darlene (I think it was) that I was thinking about deleting it. Now I'm sure I'm going to. I just need to wait until  I'm a little more focused so I don't take the entire forum down with me. I preach to my son about not telling anyone what I have and here I go showing it to the world.  :sigh:

• Sad 3

I agree with this all the way.  As I am learning more now that we are being watched on social media, our e-mails, and our text messages on our cell phones and what we go to on google as well. Though I have been using duck duck go for a long time. I am sure what sites I go to are being followed. So, I to have decided not to post pictures of my pantry and a few other things. Though there are other pictures I will post as soon as I get my computer pictures back where they belong.  Still figuring out how to do that.  I understand now that even UPS and FED EX now are keeping tabs on anyone ordering ammo and things of that nature coming through the mail. So, with that said, yes, we need to start being more careful.

• Like 3

Littlesister, I think that is a wise choice for right now.

DuckDuckGo talks a good game and helps protect you while you are actually searching. But as I understand it, once you enter a site you are at the mercy of the sites security. 

DuckDuckGo protects your privacy while you search, but it offers little defense against other threats on the Internet, like government surveillance and social media trackers. DuckDuckGo doesn't encrypt all your traffic, which means any prying eyes can still see your activity and IP address.
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1