MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My hubby's birthday

My hubby's birthday was March 31st. He turned 45 this year. I thought we going to be 46 so I told him hey surprise you are a year younger then I thought lol. He told me I was just crazy. :hapydancsmil:I  am so thankful for him and my kids. I look forward to so many more birthday's. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Jeepers, you can turn those numbers around and be 07 years old again.  At 75 you spring up to age 57.  I'm 72 and need to turn those tables around to 27 years. But right now I don't feel it. 

Happy Birthday Orchid's DH. 

• Like 1

We as a society are too focused on youth.  I do not want to be younger.  I'm proud of how long I've lived and I think we need to respect the elderly more.  My grandmother is in her late 80s and I sent her a 100 rose bouquet when she came home from the hospital last week.   Being old is a blessing, not a curse and I wish society as a whole would appreciate that.  

Idiots die young.   Those who learn how to survive die old.  

My late 80s grandmother came home from the hospital last week and I sent her 100 roses because she loves roses and has never see that many in her life. 

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 5

I agree with respecting our age. I would ever want to go through adolescence again. Or my sons adolescences! His was worse on me than my own. 

I don't agree about idiots dying young though. My mother was 38 and died from breast cancer. My nephew was 4 years old when he died a horrible death from kidney cancer. My 17 year old niece was killed when she was thrown from a Jeep Wrangler she was riding in and slid down the asphalt on her face. My BIL was 5 years old when he was killed by a driver as he ran across the road...on Mother's Day. My boyfriend in high school died in Viet Nam. Another boy friend of mine and his friend died in a car wreck when we were juniors in high school. Etc. 

But I know what you were saying. It just triggered some memories.  :hug3:

• Like 3

I know all too well about dying young. I had a close friend in 8th grade that died from a hole in his heart. He was playing basketball and just dropped and was gone that fast.  My father was 50 when he passed from a heart attack. My aunt's twin sister died at the age of 3 from pneumonia. A cousin of mine was 42 when he died of a heart attack.  One of my good friends from high school was 15 when she was shot and killed. It goes on and on. 

I will be 73 this year and some of those years have been long hard years but they made me who I am today.  My DH was 83 when he passed. We had 37 really good years together and I wouldn't trade that for anything in this world. We celebrated our 37th anniversary 2 weeks before his passing on Valentine's day. 

But it is fun to turn your age around now and again. But we are still old. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to insinuate that earlier ends could not happen to innocent people.  I was thinking about people I know who did dumb things that ended badly.  My grandmother isn't the best person, but she is not currently in good health and I think about how much I am like her.   What will I do to get by over the years?  Age comes with a lot of decisions and I just think we need to respect the stress that brings.  

• Like 3

No worries Euphrasyne! :hug3: I did know what you meant.

I have been thinking about my little nephew a lot lately. He was a year younger than my son and they were best buds. We were just talking about him a week or so ago. It happened way back in the 1970's. It was very traumatizing for the family and after all of these years it's still fresh in our mind. 

But we have had some of 'those' in my family too. Usually involving drugs and alcohol. One of my cousins who was like a brother to me, had a son that was a prime example of an idiot that died young. I loved that kid too. But he couldn't put the bottle down. After he got his 4th DUI they sent him to prison for over a year. Two years after he got out he flipped his car end over end and was killed instantly. He was in such bad shape they couldn't view his body. They chose cremation. He had all of the advantages in the world growing up. The best of everything. The nicest kid and friend you could ever meet. As much as I loved him, the one good thing I could say about him is at least he didn't kill any innocent people during his drunk driving career.  His mother and sister were so ashamed of him that they didn't even attend his graveside service. Very sad.

Moving forward:

I'm a lot like my grandma too. Cherish your granny while you still have her. And by that rose count...I know you do.  :bouquet:

• Like 3

Euphrasyne,  I understand what you are saying. Unforchanty it isn't all stupid things people do to get themselves killed. I look at my GS and his actions and it scares me to death that he won't see 50 years of age at the rate he is going. You can't make those types of choices and expect nothing to happen.  On top of smoking pot, menthol cigarettes, and vaping, and now we can add cigars to the mix. Yes, he rolled a cigar earlier today and smoked it. You know where that will lead health-wise. That like you said is stupidity and will kill you just in a slower and more painful way. 

I could see you love your grandma. I can't imagine 100 roses.  You know she will never forget that. 

I just wish my grandmother lived longer than she did. She was 76 when she passed from heart failure. I was in my late 20's. If not for her and my grandfather, I don't know where I would be today. I still miss both of them to this day.  They are the reason I love country living. They taught me a lot of things about living off the grid. As they had no indoor plumbing till their much later years. They had well water and granddaddy had that hooked up to the kitchen sink for running water. But was the only place that had running water.  And yes the chamber pots, the outhouse, washing clothes in 2 galvanized wash pans and so much more. It was all fun but a lot of work.

• Like 3