MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Rhubarb, apples, raspberries....

I'm working at getting all the above used before the new crops of the season begin producing.  It'll be a awhile before the raspberries and even longer until apples are ready, but the rhubarb will soon be ready.  Well, not that soon since it's not even up yet, but we all know how time flies! :0327:

I can't tell you how many gallons of fruits I've used all winter long but now I'm making them into sauces.  Last week I cooked 12 cups of rhubarb, and we ate it each morning for breakfast.  This morning I cooked up a gallon bag of raspberries.  We'll eat them each morning until they're gone.  Next will be applesauce.  You get the picture. :D

I made a raspberry pie for the library girls on Wednesday.  They loved it and it used up more.

I also found more zucchini cake and zucchini chocolate cake in the freezer from last fall.  Had some of the zucchini cake last night with supper.  Still delicious.  I have a couple slices of zucchini chocolate cake thawing for supper tonight.

So, friends be checking out those freezers from last summer.  It's time to get things used up so we can begin refilling.

I forgot to add, I need to use up the carrots I've had the fridge since last fall.  This bag is all I have left and I'm using the peeled for chicken fajitas.  Also, is the chocolate zucchini cake waiting to be eaten.

:grouphug:

carrots 2.jpg

Edited by Dee
  • Like 5

Been slowly trying to finish getting my freezers emptied. It's getting there but getting sick slowed that down. Still some meat that I and going to use to make soups and then some veggies, okra, corn and some other veggies I want to use up soon. It will get there if I can stay well and get my energy back.

Zucchini chocolate cake Dee? Could you share the recipe?

Here you go, Darlene.  Both the cake and brownies are good, fresh and frozen.  When I freeze them for DH and I they're cut into individual pieces, wrapped individually, and stored in a gallon bag.  They stay good for months.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour                         2 cups white sugar

¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder     2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder                   1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

½ teaspoon salt                                       1 ½ cups vegetable oil 

4 eggs                                                        3 cups grated zucchini

¾ cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:

Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add oil and eggs; mix until just combined. Add zucchini and walnuts until they are evenly distributed; pour cake batter into the prepared pan.  Hint:  Stir your zucchini with a spoon.    It takes forever to clean the beaters otherwise.

Grease a 9x13 pan and bake in preheated 350 oven 50 to 60 minutes. Cool cake completely before frosting with your favorite frosting.

Zucchini Brownies

2 cups flour                         ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 ½ teaspoons soda            1 teaspoon salt

½ cup oil                               1 ½ cups granulated sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla              2 cups shredded zucchini. Hint:  Mix in zucchini into batter with a spoon.  It’s a big mess trying to clean the beaters.

½ cup chopped walnuts    

3-5 tablespoons water.  Mix will be very thick but needs to be moist.  Use 1 tablespoon water.  If it’s not moist keep adding water 1 tablespoon at a time.

Grease 9x13 pan.  Bake in preheated 350 oven.  25-30 minutes until brownies spring back when touched.

Frosting

3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder      ¼ cup unsalted butter melted

2 cups powdered sugar                                       ¼ cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla                                                 Pinch of salt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I picked up some zukes at the Amish market Friday just so I can make this chocolate zuke cake lol. Might try today if I can get all the strawberries processed and get the granola made. 

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Dee said:

I'm almost afraid to ask. :0327:

Be afraid. 

Be very afraid. 

lol

j/k

FIRST of all, I just skimmed the recipe and prepared loaf pans instead of a 13x9 only because that is what I usually make zucchini bread in and I assumed it was the same until I read the instructions clearly lol. No big deal - it’s doable. 

I also added 1 cup of mini chocolate morsels because…well, because I’m a chocoholic. 

I haven’t frosted them yet but will do so today. I’ll make a chocolate ganache which is a fancy word for simple chocolate frosting. 

I tend to be easy with my measurements and think I put a little too much cocoa powder so there is a faint bitter taste (my fault) that I think will be fixed by the ganache. 

Here’s a pic of my version of Dee’s chocolate zuke cake.  :curtsey:

What I loved about the recipe is that it’s one of those easy peasy recipes with ingredients everyone has on hand that makes the best cakes!  It’s moist and not too sweet, especially if you forego the frosting. 

It’s definitely a keeper and I really appreciate you sharing it. 

3D586A70-08EA-4AFA-81B1-062B2C0A8A56.jpeg

• Like 4

I've made it in loaf pans too.  Easy to slice and freeze, individually wrapped in plastic wrap and put in a gallon bag.  Then, we warm it up in the microwave and put butter on it.  With a glass of milk, or coffee, on a cold winter's day it makes the perfect treat.  And, as I said previously, I've baked it in a 9x13, frosted it and cut it into individual slices, wrapped in plastic wrap and, again, frozen in a gallon bag.  It's just downright good no matter how you eat it.  As to chocolate chips, the original recipe may have called for them, I don't remember, but it would be too much chocolate for DH.

• Like 3

I forgot to mention using up mulberries.  I finished the mulberries off this morning with a mulberry/rhubarb pie.  Also, almost have the rhubarb finished. :hapydancsmil:  

I made a raspberry pie last week for the library gals and raspberry jelly bars for bridge yesterday.  I'm getting there!!!  

Now to get busy with the rest of the apples and raspberries.

mulberry pie.jpg

mulberry rhubarb pie.jpg

• Like 2