MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Baked Good Ideas

This morning I grated another zucchini and made a batch of zucchini, date, walnut muffins.  Then I had enough zucchini to make a batch of zucchini, craisin, walnut muffins.  DH asked why I keep making zucchini breads of one sort or another.

I didn't tell him but it's one of my prep items.  Does that make sense?  Well, with the world the way it is we have no idea what's coming.  It's a way of storing nutritious food that could keep us going.  Another thing, if someone comes to our door hungry and I feel like I should help them, I could hand them a couple muffins.  

I wrap 2 muffins in Cling wrap and freeze.  Then I mark a gallon bag with what's in it and put them in the freezer.

Not only are they a good prep item they're wonderful in the winter with a meal.  Or for breakfast in the morning with a cup of coffee.  DH and I are empty nesters so making up a batch of muffins each time I want to serve them seems silly.  I would end up having to freeze the leftovers anyway.  Instead, I'll take 2-4 Cling wrapped muffins out an hour before supper and voila.  Cold or re-heated they're delicious.

Edited by Dee
  • Like 5

Dee, I think that is a great idea. I have been thinking that as soon as I can get the freezer foods canned after getting house back together, I will start doing things like that. I want to make fast freezer meals also for dinners and breakfast for the freezer. Gee, does that sound like I might be getting my life back together again? I sure hope so.

• Like 3

I know just what you mean LIttlesister.  I have Tator Tot casserole, scalloped potatoes and ham, lasagna and chicken casserole all in individual servings in my freezer. For breakfasts I have waffles and breakfast burritos. I love to go places and DH doesn't.  He's content with me running all the time as long as I don't make him go along.:D  I have all these meals ready for him, so I don't feel so guilty being gone.

AND yes, it sounds like you're getting your life back together.  Welcome back!  :hi:

• Thanks 1

Good idea. I want to make some muffins and quick breads for the freezer too. I also want some corn bread muffins for beans. I have some freezer meals in Indy and every time I go over there I eat a few of them. Very quick and handy. They have turned out pretty nice. Since my taste buds have changed, I have had to alter a few things. Like add some ketchup to the chili to make it more tangy and the next time I make shepherd's pie I need to add more veggie soup and less hamburger, but the mashed potatoes on top were great. My tuna noodle casserole is good as is. 

I still want to make more dinners over there like; meat loaf, lasagna, beef and noodles and chicken and noodles. I don't have any breakfast meals yet. I'm going to be a whizz if I can ever get over there.  :sigh:

• Like 1

Oh gosh, Jeepers.  You mentioned things I haven't even thought of yet. They're winter meals and with this heat who can really plan heavy winter food?  Yes, beans and cornbread.  I freeze both.  DH isn't real crazy about cornbread, but I love it and he will eat it if I put butter and jelly on it and put it on his plate.

Tuna casserole, hamburger soup, beef stew, chicken pot pies, chicken noodle soup and chili.  So many things but it will have to wait until cooler weather.  I'll also have to hit Aldi before I begin.

Gosh, I love this ladies. :grouphug: Keep the ideas coming!

• Like 2

Yes, lots of winter fast foods for meals. Sounds great. It is just me now so will just be single serve meals for freezer. If I am going somewhere for the day, I can pull something out to put in fridge to defrost and when I get home just pop in microwave and Walas. Dinner is served. I will have to look for some recipes to share later when house is back together. 

I just took mine from the freezer to the microwave. They are single serving casserole type meals. I've been experimenting with the cooking times. I THINK they are from freezer to table in 10 minutes. I check after about 8 minutes to make sure the center is hot. If not I add another couple of minutes. So far it's been right at about 10-11 minutes. I leave the plastic wrap on the top but I vent it. 

Warning!  Label your meals. You think you can tell what is in them but you are liable to forget. I finally figured out if it's red it's chili. If it's white it's probably shepherd pie and if it's white with some lumps in it then it's probably tuna noodles. Sigh. I saran wrap my containers and then cover with a lid. Then they go in a Food Saver bag and sealed up. It's not so easy to see through those bags after they are frozen. It's over kill, I know. But I would like for them to last a long time in the freezer. And the lids came with the trays. 

I would get a surprise each night if I had chili, meatloaf and lasagna all stored in there without a label. Wonder how well spaghetti and meat sauce freezes?

I've also learned to make things a little bit on the soupy side. They seem to firm up a little bit too much for my taste. Especially that shepherd's pie. And I need a good old fashion mac and cheese recipe too. The stringy gritty kind.

• Like 1