MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Drug Pricing Shake-Up

On 12/11/2023 at 7:47 AM, Jeepers said:

I had a 'mishap' yesterday and an ambulance was called. I refused to go to the hospital but they did offer to take my vitals. I requested a blood pressure check which they did. But I just now thought that they didn't ask for my insurance info.  Wonder how they will bill that one.? Charge it off to someone else? They have my personal information but that's all. 

They will send you a bill, if they don't have your insurance information on file. 

• Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Still no bill from the ambulance company. Maybe they forgot about me.   :grinning-smiley-044:

I wish I could send a screen shot from my phone but that is beyond my capability. 

Anyway, I got a text message today from my pharmacy. I thought maybe one of my meds was ready for pick up. Nope. It said:

"Giant Eagle Rx: Hi Jeepers (not my real name), VITXXXX we are filling for you is out of stock and will be ordered. Orders are sent nightly and arrive weekdays and Saturdays by 2:30 PM. If you have questions, please call (number)." 

They are out of a vitamin and can't fill it? I don't know if it's the B-12 or the D-3. I take both. I'm just reporting how things in the med world is getting difficult to get. This isn't the first time my meds have been backordered but it is the first time they sent a message saying it will be delayed. This is only a vitamin and not that important to me. I still have plenty and could get it OTC if it was something I really needed. I'm just surprised that my pharmacy can't get a common vitamin and they alerted me to the fact. 

BTW, I never did get the Afrin that was prescribed a couple of months ago. 

Either there really is a shortage OR the insurance companies want us to pay for our own meds we can get OTC.  :tinfoilhatsmile:

• Like 3

I got the Afrin spray at Kroger today. I have had to use it on occasion. So decided to get it just in case of a shortage here. If you would like I can send you a couple of bottles of it. Just PM me if you would like to have it. 

Thank You Littlesister! That is so sweet of you.   :hug3:

I was able to get it at Walgreens when I needed it for my eardrum. I'm keeping a couple of bottles of that and Flonase that the doctor recommended. Both good for getting rid of the fluid build up in the inner ear.  I used them both at the same time.

You are only supposed to take it for 3 days in a row. Here is how the doctor had me use the Afrin for two weeks:

2 pumps in each nostril - 2 times a day, AM and PM

I made a chart with sticks on it for when I used the Afrin. Then I marked them off as I used it. Otherwise I would have never remembered. :rolleyes:

Day 1     |      |

Day 2    |       |  

Day 3    |       |   

Stop taking for 7 days:    I put the day of the week I started on my off week so I could be sure I was on track.

Mon.              Tue.             Wed.             Thur.              Fri.               Sat.             Sun.

Day 1    |      Day 2    |      Day 3    |      Day 4    |      Day 5    |      Day 6    |      Day 7    |     

Day 1     |      |

Day 2    |       |  

Day 3    |       |   

• Like 4

I just now got the same text as the one I posted up above.  So two exact ones. Either they are still out of the vitamin or else the other vitamin I take is also on back order. 

BTW, when they send me a med alert they never type out the entire name of the med. Just the first 3 letters followed by X's. Maybe a privacy issue? That's why I don't know which vitamin it is.  Either B-12 or D-3.  

Probably wouldn't hurt to go pick up a couple of bottles. Or Amazon them.  I take 1,000 of the B-12 and 5,000 of the D-3 so they are easy to get. Unless you're a pharmacy that is. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I have been having the same issues here now. But right now, I am good on everything. The two that was on backorder came in last week and I picked them up. They know I will only pick up RX's on Thursday as that is senior day, and I will shop on that day only. I get $10.00 coupons from them for the total grocery bill, and I also get a senior discount on the total. But I noticed last time I bought groceries in there; they took 5% off each item. 

• Like 3

I forgot to mention that at the ENT doctor, the nurse asked me if I'd be willing to pick up a prescription at their facility if I needed one. I like to use my own pharmacy because I get a kick back. I told her yes, I would because I've been having issues being able to get meds filled at my pharmacy. She said, "We hear that a lot. That's why I asked you if you'd like to get them here."  I didn't need any more meds but I would have gotten them there if I did.

• Like 4

Finally I remembered to fill my 3 scripts as early as allowed.  By doing that repeatedly, you have a slow back stock.  DH has done that.  I just never notice when I'm getting down to the last pills.  :scratchhead:  One of mine I'd hate to go without - the newer one for less fatigue.  Another one I can't just quit.  Needs to be weaned off slowly.  :o   So I'm proposing to my doc to begin that process.  The third was is for allergy/sinus.  I assume that's not really an issue.  

Friend is sending me herbal tinctures and a book about their use.  I'm really leaning hard towards that ....something I've always been interested in but have only picked up a few things here and there.  So I can step out of the pharm stuff as much as possible......but CAREFULLY. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3

Mt.Rider, do they have auto refill at your pharmacy? That way they can automatically refill them and then alert you when they are ready for pickup. I take so many different pills that I'd never remember when they need refilled. And they don't all come due at the same time. 

I still haven't heard back from the pharmacy concerning the vitamin refills.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I am on auto refill also, but those last 2 prescriptions still ended up on back order. They call me about 2 weeks before they are due to let me know. they are waiting on insurance so they can fill them. Then call me back when they are ready.

• Like 1

The prescription finally came in. It is the Vitamin D-3. 

I know it's a new year and there are deductibles to meet, but 90 pills cost me $8.40. Yikes. I can get 180 of them from Amazon for $14.29 next day delivery. 

• Sad 2
  • 2 months later...

I just read where Ohio passed a new pharmacy law effective May 1st. 

A new prescription has to be filled within 3 business days and an auto refill has to be filled within 5 days. Not sure how that will work out with all of the med delays but there ya have it.

This came about from the Ohio Board of Pharmacy because of all the delays and pharmacist abuse from CVS. 

It was reported in the Ohio Capital Journal 2 days ago. 

• Like 2

When I got home from Food Lion, my pharm. had left a message that my prescription I had been waiting on for 2 weeks is in. So, I will pick that up tomorrow. Glad I didn't go to Harris Teeter first for hamburger. Tomorrow is Senior day. So worked out great for me and I can hit the Dollar Tree also while there. 

• Like 1