MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

SOURDOUGH

Guest Guest

I use a jar that's about a half gallon size, and I tie an old dish towel over the top so that it can "breathe" without anything getting in.

I suppose if I had company I'd use something "prettier" or put it away.

I just started mine up a week ago, and it is in a gallon glass cookie jar with lid; The kind you can get from Walmart that looks like the candy jars on old drug store counters, the upright ones, not the tilted ones. It is a regular recipe, bread flour and water, although I did cheat and add a little sugar to the yeast/flour/water start to give it a boost.

I have fed it maybe three times and it is about 1/3 full. The hooch liquid is maybe an inch floating on top till I feed it again and mix it up.

I tried one recipe for pancakes this past Sunday from the downunder site, but they were too thick and not the ones I wanted. I will find my recipe for flapjacks sooner or later, depending on how hard I want to clean up piles of books and magazines to find it.

Quote:
So tell me gals, what type of container do you keep your sourdough in all the time?

A crock? If so, what size?

I have a crock with a loose fitting lid. It is dark green to match my kitchen but sits in a dark corner so you don't actually notice it. My crock is small, not including the lid it measures 7 inches tall and 6 inches in diameter.

I did not use a starter to create my sourdough, I used flour, water and honey and attracted the wild yeast from the air.

Had I used a San Fran. Sourdough starter and left it out on the counter, in time the wild yeast from the air will take over the yeast in the container. To maintain that original flavor the yeast needs to be kept in the refrigerator.

If you bake bread, you need to wait about 3 days or longer before you make cheese as the bread yeast will alter the flavor of the yeast used to inoculate your milk.

This means that you can't leave yeast on the counter and make cheese too.

I have a pretty cookie jar it could just as easily be put into.

So it doesn't take anything large at all. That's good to know then. How often do you make bread with your starter?

A few years ago I found a couple of those large pickle and kraut crocks from an estate sale. There was a thread here a while back about using sauerkraut to do battle with flu. If anyone has done that before and feels a hankering to do a thread, I'd be interested in hearing how you made it. Unless it's already here and I just missed it.

• 2 years later...
  • 15 years later...