to stay.

Hi. My name is Shannon and I live in Kentucky and

I have been married for 14 years. We live on 50

rolling acres (big hills). We have 3 children

ages 14, 9, 4 and another on the way. I am homeschooling

my 9 year old and in August with the 4 year old. This is

our 2nd year of homeschooling.

I am new to "surviving". I have been trying to get

my hands on anything to do with Y2K and general survival.

We raise laying hens, soon broilers. We also raise

sheep, Katahdins. In other words they are a hair

sheep raised for meat.

I love anything to do with chickens. Right now I

am incubating 10 eggs in an incubator and 6 eggs

under a broody hen. This is my first hatching and

I am so excited. Only 10 more days till they hatch.

Any other chicken people out there?

I am very glad to be here, I have learned so much.

I hope to make lots of new friends.

Shannon

Guest Guest

A big welcome to you Shannon. Chickens? I raised chickens for a number of years and just loved them. We may get more this year. A friend and I moved to our acreages about the same time and decided to hatch out some chickens. She called one day all excited, she had a chick hatching. She lives about 9 miles down the highway and off I went to watch this first time event. We'd never been more excited than that day. Everything went well, the little chicken came out of its egg. We, knowing nothing, dried the little chick off, put it in a box with a lamp and to make a long story short killed that little sucker with all our love!

Guest Guest

Nice to see you staying. I have never had chickens...I fell in love with a pig once when I was 6 though, does that count?

Anyway good to see you here.

Guest Guest

(((((((((((((((((((slgrubbs))))))))))))))))))))))

We're so proud to have you as a member here on our online home.

*smile*

Welcome!

Welcome to the family.... I live in the Fingerlakes Region of NY, out in the boonies, with my DH of 46 years. We have 2 living children, 6 grandchildren, 5 great-grandchildren and a cat.

Shannon, Welcome! I home schooled my two sons for a couple of years in their teen years. If they learn to be readers, they can do anything.

I'm about 2 generations removed from the country, self-sustaining life. My grandparents homesteaded their property in what was a rural suburb to Portland (Nana, know where Rusk Road and Aldercrest is?). It was a three mile walk to Milwaukie in those days and I was told when they first settled their closest neighbors were a couple of bachelors about several miles away. Grandma had cows - named something like Henrietta and I've forgotten the others. Mom says Grandpa used to go into Portland to visit some of their old Norweigen friends and tell them to all come over for dinner (Grandma not having a clue when he'd do this) and she always managed to feed them. Oddly enough, I don't remember they ever talked about having chickens. They must have had them. I grew up in that neighborhood - about two junior acres up the hill from Grandma's house. When I was a kid there were still cows in the pasture behind Grandma's but they belonged to a neighbor. One was mean and would chase us if we tried to take the short cut down the hill to Grandma's instead of going round by the road. My sister claims she saved my life from the mean cow once. And the same neighbor (two houses over from my family) called Mom and I over to see her chicks hatching. We always had a big garden when we lived there. Ah, memories.

DH and I have two sons, 33 and 31, 2 cats - he's been retired for a year and I just quit a really stressful job. Either of us might pick up part time work but for now we are enjoying the freedom.

Shannon. I was a stay at home mom until a week ago, but now I'm opening up my own shop a couple miles from mu house. DH and I have 2 children, a 7 1/2 year old girl, Aiyana, and a 3 1/2 year old boy, Dalen.

I'm also a massage therapist, so that's one of the things I opened my shop for, and selling my craft stuff, and taking other people's craft stuff on consignment (maybe?).

Glad you decided to stay Shannon, it's a great place to be!

Guest Guest

Well Howdy. Glad to have you join us. My DH and I live in Michigan with 2 dogs and 2 cats. DS and DD are now both out of the house. We've been married 30 years on June 1. Boy time sure does fly. Welcome again. Diane

Well Shannon I love my girls (the chickens). Right now we have a group of 6 girls. Just enough to keep us in eggs. They have been our best group ever. We have had them for 6 years with no sickness or deaths. We built a little extension off the barn which is covered by netting. They have an enclosed small room and when the weather is nice they can go out to their "screened patio".

Glad you are joining us!