MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

R ~How's the canning/freezing going?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I didn't think my garden was ever going to produce enough to can this year BUT yesterday DH and I got enough green beans picked to can 20 pints. As I put them on a shelf in the pantry this morning I gazed at their beauty!

How's it going for everyone else?

errr.....i got ONE RIPE CHERRY TOMATO i can pick.......ya think it's nuff to can....hahahaa

Maybe NEXT year i'll actually have something to can when i start my garden...we moved in too late to really grow anything.

CONGRATS on your beans!! ENJOY !

HEY DEE.....do home canned beans taste anything like the mushy ones in comercial cans?

Homecanned green beans are NOTHING like the nasty store bought canned things!! They are so yummy!!!!

I'm waiting on my connection at work to get me a bushel of green beans. The Mennonites have canning tomatoes but I haven't had the time nor the money to stop by and pick any up. I don't know how much those will cost.

Also, I don't think I have enough quart jars to do both.

I plan on getting another box this week.

QUESTION: Which do you prefer....wide mouth canning jars or regular? I used a wide mouth for the first time recently and I sure can squish the veggies in there easier.

Our grapes have just started ripening so I hope to make some juice or jelly with those.

Now.....just to find the time to do this............

mommafitz

Guest Guest

Debbielee, I didn't know ones in the can were mushy.....thanks,you've ruined my day!!!

The majority of my jars are regular mouth. I would prefer the wide mouth but, obviously, not going to run out and buy them since I have a gazillion of the others. I horde my wide mouth until I do pickles or something that you try getting out with a fork.

I'm hoping to can corn today. DH picks and shucks it for me and I do the rest. He's still in bed and I have to work at 1:00 so I may run out of time and not get it done today.

Since my canner holds 20 pints I try to get a canner full before bothering with the mess.

20 pints at a time? Oh my that's a big canner.. My pressure canner only holds 7 quarts... And my water bath canner only does 7 pints at a time. I am biding my time until I can buy a bigger bigger one....... As far as the wide or regular mouth jars.. I really don't pay much attention...

Guest Guest

My canner holds 7 quarts or 20 pints. It's 10 on the bottom than a rack and 10 on top. It's great because you can do so many at once but you can also use the canner with less than a full load.

Guest Guest

Hey, where's all the canners....ah, I bet too busy canning to post. I did another 20 pints of green beans and I'm hoping to get corn canned this weekend. The Romas are turning red so I'll be doing "tomato things" before too long. The grapes are about ready too so it'll be time for grape juice making also.

What's up with the rest of you?

Be very careful what you can in that water bath canner Buttercup!! I've just this week finished canning the last of the green beans... I ended up with 90 quarts. Pulled the rascals up so I wouldn't have to pick any more... but, the bugs were beginning to attack them anyway. The tomatoes are all getting ripe at the same time so I will now give the best of those to the neighbors and freeze the rest. My freezer is almost full... and it makes me feel sooooooooooo good!!!

Most of our garden is finished unless we put in a fall crop. We start early but we also finish early. Now I can be jealous of all the Northerners who were jealous of me a few months ago! My freezer is full of tomatoes, green beans, blackberries, blueberries and corn. Now all I need is to hit a good deal on meat and we will be set for a long time.

I did 13 quarts of grape juice yesterday out of free grapes I got from my sisters house. And after more than 10 years of canning I learned something new! I mentioned this in another post elsewhere but, apparently the rack that holds the jars fits on the rim of the canner and sits there until you lower it. Now mind you I did alot of canning with my mom but I never remember her using that. I think that's because her canner didn't have the rack that lifts out it just had the trivet like thing that sat on the bottom of the pan. To keep the jars from breaking. I have offically ran out of things to can. Since my tomatoes got eaten by the bugs I won't have any to put up for winter. I got 4 quarts of juice.. I guess that it's better than nothing.. What's everyone else canning this week?

Good work ladies!

It is a good feeling isn't it! I did another 20 pints of green beans, 6 quarts of grape juice and the tomatoes are ripening so it'll be tomato juice and salsa soon.

Keep it up everyone, I'll guarantee you it will taste soooooo good this winter!

I put up 9 quarts of green beans, and 3 quarts of squash... I have been watching our local stores very closely. This bi-lo that I shop at a lot, deals with local growers for fresh produce. They will have unannounced sales during the week on their fresh produce. Like last week it was pole beans and snap beans for $.69 a pound. When they go on sale like that I will buy them up and can them or freeze them. along with the ones that I have grown.I also dried some fresh chives from my garden. Put some jalapeno, banana, bell , chili peppers in the freezer, will dry some onions this weekend...

My DH just came in with almost fifteen pounds of Zucchini! I am going to do the grinding and stuff tonight as my recipe has it sit overnight with salt on it. I love this relish so it is worth the work. My daughter likes it also so when we go down to visit will take her some. Can't believe ONE Zucchini and one Summer Squash are really going over the top. Wish our Cucumbers were doing as well - they are pale and bitter in spite of hot weather and lots of water - bummer! I do love canning though and will be doing Peaches before the end of the month.

I got another 20 pints of green beans canned today and I'm done with them!!! That makes 80 pints and surely that's enough for any 2 people. I told DDIL that whatever she does to NOT buy any greenbeans because I'll have enough for all of us. She said, "Ok, I'll inform the whole town". Aren't DIL's supposed to be nice to their MIL?

I got some tomatoes picked today that I'll start working in the morning but I think it'll probably only amount to a quart or two.

DH has finished up the hay baling and now will have to get it hauled home and put away.

Pansy do you ever slice your cucumbers and soak them overnight in salt water? I do that with bitter ones and then make cucumbers and onions in vinegar. One way to use them anyway.

Things are coming along pretty well here...hope they are for all of you too.

Dee,

Have you ever baked cucumbers? Here are two recipes that could be canned. Just a thought.

Baked Cucumbers

2 lg Cucumbers, sliced

2 Spanish onions

1 c Chili sauce

1 ts Salt

1/4 ts Pepper

1 tb Flour

Margarine

Arrange cucumbers and onions in layers, adding to each layer, salt, pepper and flour. Cover with chili sauce and dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees until tender, about 30 minutes.

Cucumber-onion Bake

2 (8-inch) cucumbers, sliced 1/4-inch thick

2 md Onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings

4 tb Flour

Salt and pepper to taste

2 c Catsup

2 tb Butter or margarine

Alternate layers of cucumbers and onions in a deep, 2 1/2- quart, heat-resistant, non-metallic casserole. Sprinkle each layer with flour, salt and pepper. Pour catsup over all. Place chunks of butter on top.

Heat, covered, in Microwave Oven 15 minutes or until onions are tender.

I use cucumbers, stewed tomatos and onions, cook in a frying pan with olive oil.

From this I can add other vegetables or take some away.

The ones that get away, slice in half, scoop out seeds, fill with diced onions, mushrooms, ??? and bake like baking an overlarge Zuchinni.

Remeber a cucumber is really a squash

Ever sauteed red cabbage? how about radishes? mashed radishes?

I've grown cucumbers for years and have fixed them raw 1,000 different ways. I have NEVER cooked them! I never even thought about cooking them.....this is exciting! Thanks ladies!!!