MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sprouts

I sprout. Just saw a site today that you soak some things and sprout others. I sprout lentils, they grow so much in a couple of days. I have a sprout master and you rinse twice a day. I buy packages of sprouting seeds and have fresh sprouts every day. I soak wheat berries and eat them. Wheat grass is good and very nutritous. Use a 4 in pot with some potting soil in the bottom. Place your berries on top and water. Put on a sunny window. They keep growing and are very good. Our local grocery market carries wheat grass in the produce section. Costs 2.49 for a small tub. I sprout mine for about 3 cents. Go figure.

I used to sprout using a mason jar with the ring and cheesecloth. I've only grown alfalfa sprouts but would like to try others. It's fun like having a science project going on in your kitchen. Bread raising, sour dough bubbling, sprouts growing.

Jan

• 3 months later...

Grubby: How did your sprouts turn out? What kind did you use? I could kick myself because I saw some when I was in the big city at Wild Oats and passed them by because DH was tapping his foot, waiting for me to rush through the store.

I make sprouts all through the winter so I don't have to pay for lettuce for things like sandwiche. I buy sprout seeds (alfalfa) in bulk at a local store. I have a 2 quart jar I start them in, and I just put a piece of nylon over the end and screw the band on. The nylon allows the sprouts to breathe, and you don't need to take anything off to rinse and drain.

On the first day, I let them soak for maybe an hour (basically while I am doing something else LOL). Rinse/drain and throw the jar in the windowsill. Then I just rinse/drain once a day and throw them back in the window. I use about 3 tablespoons of seed for a 2 quart jar.

Have fun and good luck!

Shawna

Shawna, that's a great thought about using sprouts instead of lettuce, especially since lettuce has been so expensive lately. And thanks for that link, West.

Earlier today I was researching sprouters and I found two of interest: the Sproutmaster and the Kitchen Crop Sprouter. But they're expensive if you buy enough trays to grow a goodly crop of sprouts every day. So I was talking with someone who shared a creative and less expensive way of sprouting with me.

Here's what she does to offer daily nutritious sprouts for her family of four: She purchased 5 large, rectangular Ziploc Snap n' Seal containers with blue lids from her grocery store. She very carefully (to avoid cracking the plastic) punched small holes using a tiny screw and screwdriver. Very gentle, okay. She first screwed outside and then inside to get rid of any plastic edges. She made 3 holes about a half inch from the outer edge along the short side of the container. Then she did made 5 holes along the longer side.

She rinses her seeds twice a day, religiously and says she has a continuous supply of sprouts from her 5 containers. The neat thing is these containers run about $3 for two. She said she puts a blue lid underneath (since there are holes) and stores her sprouts in the refrigerator until she's ready to use.

I purchased two of these containers this afternoon so I can try this, and hopefully I can pick up some sprouts at the health food store tomorrow. In years past I've used mason jars with screw on plastic lids designed for sprouting. I grew alfalfa and mung bean sprouts.

Here's what I love about sprouts: They're loaded with vitamins and they're versatile (samies, salads, crunchy toppings, etc.). And if a flu pandemic comes sprouts will provide wonderful vitamins for many weeks without anyone ever having to go to a store. Great winter greens!

Quote:
Grubby: How did your sprouts turn out? What kind did you use? I could kick myself because I saw some when I was in the big city at Wild Oats and passed them by because DH was tapping his foot, waiting for me to rush through the store.

I haven't but I will. As soon as I get off the computer
I'm going to do it. Today.

Thanks Teaberry.

I have lots of beans to sprout. I just didn't know how

to sprout them. I was also afraid I would mess them up.

Thanks to Teaberry we can get samples to try, and hope

not to mess them up. Everyone should be trying

these, you only need water. No sun or dirt only water, and

not much of that.

So far sprouts are doing ok. I guess we can eat them

any time now. I need to let them sit in the sun and

get green. I did alfalfa, the easy ones. My next ones

will be mung beans. The ones you put into Chinese food.

Anyone done mung beans?

Archived