MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

cooking with canned foods

While chili, spaghetti, stew or soup is a complete meal, there are times when you may have run out and need to make something out of nothing but canned green beans or canned corn.

If you have a recipe or find a recipe please post it here.

SCALLOPED STRING BEANS

string beans cooked or canned

tomato sauce

bread crumbs

grated cheese or parmesan cheese

Drain the liquid from cooked or canned string beans, and put them in a shallow greased baking dish. Cover with tomato sauce, sprinkle with bread crumbs mixed with cheese, and bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees) or in a dutch oven over fire until the sauce bubbles and the crumbs are brown.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes noodles are allowed.. we can only use what is in our pantrys.

Most likely butter won't be available but oil is, sour cream has long since been used but you can make if from powdered milk!

so think about you have been living from your pantry for the last 3 weeks and the 'good' stuff is getting slim.. you want to save the 'good' stuff for special times

using the liquid from drained canned vegetables to cook pasta is a huge plus!!! and then resuing the liquid (which has starch from the pasta and will thicken) to make soup or making onion soup or help me out here ladies and gents!

the idea so to make delicious meals your family will eat and share with us so we can try them out on ours and increase our menus.

Pasta is ok! what ever is in your pantry! lets get cookin'

easy casserole

1 cup – chicken, beef, tuna or beans

2 cups – rice or pasta (use liquid from vegetables to cook)

2 cups vegetables- your choice or combination

sauce –tomato sauce or canned cream soup or gravy

seasoning to taste

use crushed cereal, bread crumbs, or cracker crumbs

bake at 350^ for 20-30 minutes

Corn Loaf

1 can creamed corn

1 can whole kernel corn

2 cups biscuit mix

chopped green chilis

2 eggs

1/4 cup sugar

4 tbsp melted margarine

1 cup shredded cheese (optional)

Mix ingredients except cheese. Grease two 9 x 9 inch pans. Divide one half of the mixture between the pans. Sprinkle cheese over the batter. Pour the other half of the batter over the two pans. Bake 30 to 40 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Note: don't drain the can of whole kernel corn.

margarine proabaly isn't available, use oil. eggs most likely are long gone so use.. egg replacer.. see below

EGG SUBSTITUTES

Chef Deborah

Ener-g Type Egg Replacer

1 cup potato starch

3/4 cup tapioca flour

2 tsp. Baking powder

Mix all well.

Store in airtight container.

To use:

1 & 1/2 tsp powder + 2 TBS water = 1 egg.

1 & 1/2 tsp powder + 1 TBS water = 1 egg yolk.

When measuring, press powder firmly into measuring spoon.

----

Egg Substitute

1 TBS soy flour

2 TBS water

Mix well.

Equals 1 egg.

----

Flax Meal Egg Substitute

2 tsp flax meal

2 TBS warm water

In a small bowl, mix flax meal and warm water.

Beat until mixture has the consistency of egg.

Equals 1 egg.

----

Tofu Egg Substitute

1/4 cup whipped Tofu

Some liquid from recipe

Mix well.

Equals 1 egg.

Egg Substitute

1 Tbs cornstarch

2 Tbs water

Mix well.

Equals 1 egg.

Good for quick breads and cookies.

Not so good for cakes.

Vegetable Caserole

1-2 cups cooked rice (cooked in the vegetable liquid add water as needed)

1 can mushroom soup

1 can sliced mushrooms or dried mushrooms (rehydraded in in liquid from vegetables)

1 small can water chestnuts (optional)

1/4 cup diced onion (rehydrated with liquid)

2-4 cups frozen vegetables

Mix ingredients together and pour into greased casserole dish. Cover with crumbs or crumbled crackers mixed with a little oil. Bake 30 minutes at 375 degrees. (Water chestnuts are optional, you can substitute sliced celery, and/or chopped peanuts.

Corn beef casserole

1 can corned beef crumbled (you may use hash)

1 jar sauerkraut (I don't drain but sauerkraut in the can I rinse)

1 recipe bisquick mix

Layer in 9x9 pan

Bake at 350 about 30 minutes or until biscuits are brown. If I were using refrigerator stuff I would use swiss cheese between the layers.

My three grown kids make this even today.

Another egg subsitute!

just 1 teaspoon of vinegar for each egg required. I found this in Aunt Daisy's cookbook, which was a program broadcast during WWII in New Zealand to help people cook during times of shortages.

Sue

Using the water from boiling pasta as a type of thickener is a very interesting proposition, and one I hadn't thought of.

This thread is kinda hard for me, cause I tend to do my cooking from scratch, and can my own things vs store bought stuff. Perhaps the idea is too broad for me to grasp, and maybe we could tailor it a little like this...

TSHTF and you've been using your preps, and all you have left is:

sugar

flour

corn

canned chicken noodle soup

What kind of a meal could you make for your family from just that. Maybe once we get some ideas for those ingredients, we can start again with just a couple of other ingredients and see how that stretches our imagination.

Quote:
TSHTF and you've been using your preps, and all you have left is:

sugar
flour
corn
canned chicken noodle soup

What kind of a meal could you make for your family from just that. Maybe once we get some ideas for those ingredients, we can start again with just a couple of other ingredients and see how that stretches our imagination.

Literally just those four things? Or can I assume basic things used in small quantities like salt, baking powder, spices, etc?

Seasoning, spices, and those types of things I would still have in my cupboard if all my food was gone, so YEAH! go for it!

But we're talking Mother Hubbard's cupboard here...there is no milk in the fridge, no meat in the freezer, just sugar, flour, corn and canned chicken noodle soup.

Corn fritters

1-2 cans corn (one can whole corn one can creamed corn is good)

1 tbsp dried egg

3 tbsp flour

1 tsp sugar (optional)

Do not drain corn, mix all together if dry add a little water. Drop by tbsp into hot oil. Brown until done in center. I eat them plain but dh loves syrup on them.

Mac N Cheese with a can of chili added.

I went to a home show last weekend and tasted the best powdered cheddar cheese. It was truly a medium to sharp cheddar flavor. It was sold in a #10 can and could be shaken over food, or made into solid cheese with water and some refrigeration. I will be buying some in the near future.

Quote:
No oil.

*darlene SWATs AoF4G's hand...*

rofl

Actually the corn fritters sound awesome, and knowing me, I'd find a way to cook those suckers without oil.

*smacks back* That's where the aforementioned non-stick pan comes in. WHAT!?!?! You don't HAVE one? Well you can't borrow mine. You hurted my feewings... hehehehe

Alright children, that's enough now.

I took a little liberty. I don't typically buy canned chicken noodle soup, but I do have on hand home-canned chicken in broth, and just chicken broth. I subbing that, so my resources are

*sugar

*flour

*corn

*home canned chicken

My home canned chicken has about a 1/4 inch of fat at the top. I will carefully lift that off and warm it in a (non-stick!) skillet. When the oil is hot, add flour, cook briefly, then add the broth from the homecanned chicken to make a gravy.

I can make homemade noodles with flour, salt & egg, but in a pinch they are okay without the egg. So I'll make some thick, chewy noodles.

Mix together the chicken, gravy & noodles. Throw in the corn (I don't care much for corn; that must be why it was still in the cupboard). Hope to find a carrot in the garden and call it stew.

I can also bake bread with flour, sugar, salt, yeast, water & oil. 'Course I don't have oil, but I'll bet it would still be edible, even without. But it would probably go stale quickly.

So now we have stew and bread.

I don't bake much, but I'll bet a basic sugar cookie could be made with little more than sugar and flour... Oh, wait! You'd need butter or shortening, and I'll bet Darlene says my shortening is all used up. What about my powdered butter?

Hmmm... I think a dessert would be beneficial in two ways: 1. Concentrated calories and 2. Morale builder.

Can anyone make dessert with little more than sugar and flour? Oh, what about brownies? No, they need fat too.

Hmmm...

canned potatoes.

Canned potatoes can be an asset in your cooking. Though the don’t taste all the great heated out of the can, they can be used in combination with other things.

Canned Potatoes come canned whole or sliced. You can use them in casseroles, sliced or diced and fried, potato salad, mashed, pot pies, diced and used in cream soups or just use as you would with any fresh potato.

The liquid from the potatoes can be used in soups, used to reconstitute dehydrated vegetables.

anyone have any recipes?

Archived