MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Stevia seed

Momo

Thanks Momo!

Personally, I just can't get stevia to grow from seed. I have tried and tried! But I received a pleasant surprise this year. Last year when I harvested the plants, I chopped them off a few inches above the ground and left the roots in the ground. I went to weed that bed and put in new stevia plants and guess what!?! The stevia was growing out of the old root system. I had heard that they were supposed to be perennial and I guess they are. I'm very excited to know that they overwinter here. They die back like Lemon Verbena and Rhubarb, but so far, it's coming back!

I purchase it from an online company. I don't want to waste the time, space, water to grow it if I could grow it. There are many companies on line that sell it, this may not be the cheapest place but gives a bench mark for those that might want to purchase it.

http://www.herbco.com/

Stevia leaf, c/s (Stevia rebaudiana)

1/4 lb. $2.60

1-4 lbs. $6.50

5-24 lbs. $5.85

Stevia leaf, powder (Stevice rebaudiana)

1/4 lb. $2.60

1-4 lbs. $6.50

5-24 lbs. $5.85

Stevia leaf, powder extract (Stevice rebaudiana)

1/4 lb. $14.90

• 4 weeks later...

I think that can be used as a contraceptive if used in large amounts (impacts ovulation) - I haven't done a lot of research on this...so this information might not be reliable.

It can also cause stomach cramps in some people.

For my dad (who is pre-diabetic), it seems to even out his blood sugar - but I haven't heard if this is true for true diabetics.

I use stevia every morning in my hot tea. I have gotten used to the taste of it and I'm sure it's healthier than sugar or artificial sweeteners. It is natural and not made in a lab.

They'll be fine indoors and may even become a perennial in that situation. The trick is to keep the blossoms pinched back to encourage the bushy growth. Similarly to basil, once they blossom the plants tend to go dormant. Last year was my first success story with this herb (I've been working with it for the last 4). My plants (and I purchased plants from a quality source) didn't bloom until late October. When the plants bloom, that's when the leaves are supposed to be at their sweetest. So at that point, I cut off all of the plants a few inches above the ground and dried all of the leaves in my dehydrators. As I mentioned earlier, this Spring the plants have come back so I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.

As for useage, currently I'm using up the dry stuff (which is much stronger than fresh) but you can definitely use the leaves while they are green, they're just not as strong.

Archived