MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Name This Forum Contest!

Guest Guest

First of all, I'd like to welcome everyone to our newest forum here at MrsSurvival! Lois and Mare have graciously agreed to moderate here, but we're having a hard time coming up with a unique and *snappy* name for this forum! lol

Mare suggested we run a contest, which is always fun sooooooo....

Whoever comes up with a name that is chosen for this forum will receive a $20.00 gift certificate to Amazon.com!

The purpose of this forum (which was Mare's idea to begin with) was probably best explained by her:

"With all of the uncertainty regarding codex, especially since CAFTA passed, ...a forum on herbal remedies is much needed. We need to learn NOW, and there is alot to learn.

...That is a black gaping hole in MOST of our preps...

...after the Eminent Domain passed SCOTUS, I'll believe anything is possible now. It seems like there are two versions of everything; the govts and the real interpretation. The problem is in determining exactly where the truth lies.

CAFTA is the Central American Fair Trade Act. You remember NAFTA, which led to outsourcing many good American jobs, well this the the Central America version. It supposedly removes tariffs, and in Mexio, NAFTA has forced small farmers out of business, and increased illegal immigration. Codex is a part of CAFTA. It is a subsidiary body of the Food and Agriculture Organization and the World Health Organization of the United Nations. Part of Codex removes OTC drugs and herbal remedies except for those in the very lowest doses. I would think that American senior citizens would protest vehemently, but the pharmaceutical companies will get their way in the end. A trip to the Dr. would be required to get your vitamin C, iron, magnesium, etc...."

What more can be said than that. I know for me, I'm not interested in taking any unnecessary prescriptions described by my doctor, if I can receive the same benefit, without the side effects of the drug company's medications, naturally from native herbs and plants found on our planet earth.

That's just my humble opinion, and it would always be wise to discuss with our doctors potential alternatives we might be able to seek to take better care of ourselves.

So, with all that said, welcome Lois and Mare, and good luck to all our members at MrsSurvival, helping us find a name for our newest forum!

The Curandera's Garden

Here is an article about a Curandera's garden...........

By Maureen Gilmer

DIY--Do It Yourself Network

In the 15th century Florentine Codex of Aztec physicians, the healer is "well versed in herbs, who knows, through experience the roots, the trees, the stones. She keeps her secrets and traditions." The healer is clearly female. But where the Codex covers Aztec physicians, the text indicates this role applies to the male gender.

Today the role of healer or "curandera" still exists in Hispanic culture. It is not uncommon for a Mexican to consult a curandera for spiritual healing while under a medical doctor's care. For the very poor with no access to modern medicine, the curandera serves both roles, blending the art of healing the mind with the administration of botanical medicines.

In the Mexican neighborhoods of most Southwestern cities you'll find botanicas, which are herb stores that carry dried traditional plant cures of the curandera's trade. If she is fortunate enough to have a plot of land, the curandera would tend a garden of useful plants for her own fresh harvest.

Some of these plants are quite toxic poisons, but in her training she learned the proper dosage and preparation. Many, such as morning glory and peyote would be divination plants handed down to her from the Aztec Nahuatl traditions. The most common of these potent medicines is called 'tlapatl' in Nahuatl or 'toloache' in Spanish. It is the wild datura of the desert and Mexico. This nightshade contains serious medicine and may be the single most powerful plant in this garden.

The curandera's garden would also contain New World natives and some European herbs introduced by the Spanish early on. Maguey agave is perhaps the most ubiquitous plant in Mexico because of its use in the fermentation of an alcoholic beverage known as "pulque." Its fiber is utilized for everything from scrub brushes to weaving cloth. The agave leaf was scraped and boiled to treat assorted venereal diseases

The many benefits of "nopal" or prickly pear, Opuntia ficus indica, are just now coming to light in the alternative medicine community. Flat paddle-shaped stems of this plant are chopped and simmered down to a potent brew. It is the main component of treating maladies of the heart such as angina and edema. The mix is drunk on a daily basis as a preventative.

The many forms of sagebrush, genus Artemisia is known as 'ajenjo.' It includes both native and European species, all of which are strongly bitter and potentially toxic. The herbs have been used in the Old World and the New to treat intestinal parasites. They also can make up a powerful antibacterial for treating infected wounds.

Some very long-lived woody shrubs also fall into this curandera garden pharmacoepia. Bushy apache plume, Fallugia paradoxa, is a desert shrub known as 'ponil.' Aspirin-like qualities are found in its inner bark, much like that of aspen and willow. A strong tea of the root and bark is also used for hair-loss treatment. Bright red Ocotillo blossoms from the woody 'oqueria splendens' are boiled, and the tea used to treat sore throat and tonsillitis. The leaves of a bright yellow trumpet flowered shrubby vine, Tecoma stans, known as "tronadora" are used to treat adult diabetes.

It is important to remember that these uses of plants are not medical advice nor recommendations. The way each is gathered, prepared and administered can range considerably. This is folk medicine handed down verbally from curandera to apprentice, and all are combined with a strong dose of love and personal attention.

The curandera's garden is beautiful because it reflects how people have helped one another for centuries. And no one can deny that when the ocotillo turns to fire and datura perfumes the night air, the Aztec gods are pleased that Nahuatl ways live on in the 21st Century.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_herbs/article/0,1785,HGTV_3595_2251140,00.html

CeeGee

I love the idea of this forum and I really like the name The Herbal Alternative.

Hmmmm. In Oregon they are passing legislation that all cold/allergy medicine (OTC) must be obtained by prescription for the purpose of stopping or slowing down meth cooks. One of our local talk show hosts insists these folks are making so much money they can pay someone to sit in a doctor's office to obtain the prescription from various doctors. When I saw Unike's post earlier today about the kids coming home from school with a cold I realized what an incredible hassle that would be to get prescriptions and how overloaded the doctors will be. Now I also wonder about all purposes in this legislation.

I'll think on the name but, as I said, I really like The Herbal Alternative.

So glad to see Buttercup posting again .

During Hilter's occupation of France, he outlawed the use of herbal medicines. Forcing the people to use medical doctors and perscription drugs. This law is still in effect to day in France.

Here's a couple of suggestions. Pending the proper disclaimers of course.

What Ails Us

Nature's Elixir

Potions and Tonics

In the Pink

Have fun - love the idea. I've been working on some recipies myself.

Body, Heal Thyself (Heal Thyself) - Mixing the past and the present for optimum natural health

Holistic Living (Healing) - Learning the skills of ancient healing

A Healthier You - Life beyond (without) medicines and Dr's.

Self-sufficient health - the natural way

Great Grandma's medicine cabinet - The art of herbology

Chicken Soup and your health

Holistic medicine

Holistic Healing

Alternatives to medicine

Life without medicines & Dr.'s

More to come............

Hill

Boy, I'm SO glad to see that so many of you have some experience in this area. I'm just assisting Lois, as she is so knowledgeable, and I'm just learning. It sounds like we will have some interesting and helpful discussions on the new board. Keep those names coming.

this reminds me of a song...

just a spoon full of medicine helps the medicine go down.... in the most delightful way!

cause let me tell you... some herbal teas are really awful!

Archived