MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Healthy menu planning ideas?

A sister named Waiting mentioned on another thread the idea of moving to more alkaline foods as winter approaches and rumors of bird flu float in the news.

I've been wanting to organize a weekly menu with healthier dinners focusing on bean dishes and fish. No red meat or poultry. I'm especially interested in good bean dishes. If anyone here has a favorite, delicious bean or fish entree they could recommend, I'd be grateful.

I'll start with a wonderful marinade for salmon fillets. It's not the most alkaline, but healthy nonetheless:

2 T butter (melt in pan and add following ingredients)

2 T Christopher Ranch chopped ginger

2 T soy sauce

1 T lemon juice

Spray oil in pan and add salmon filets. Cook at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork.

Look for the ginger in your grocery store or contact: http://www.christopher-ranch.com/product.html

Well down here, the latins are big on black beans and rice. My girlfriend taught me how to make awesome black beans, but how to write down here, that which i just eyeball...lol

Let's see...

4 cans black beans (or whatever that translates out to in dried and cooked)

1/2 bottle of Sofrito

2 pgs of Sazon seasoning

1/2 small can tomato sauce

handful of crushed green olives

1 small diced onion

1/4 diced green pepper

1 chorizo (spanish sausage) diced

Just put all ingredients into pot and simmer 1-2 hours..serve alone or over white rice.

2 cups white cabbage

1 large carrot

1 cup mushrooms

1 stick celery

1/4 of a cucumber

2tbs chopped parsley

2/3 cup cooked red kidney beans

1/2 cup chopped cashews

1/5 cup sun flower seeds

2tbs veggtable oil

juice of one lemon

grate the cabbage and carrot, chop mushrooms celery and cucumber finely

mix all ingredients, and enjoy!

i think i am going to start adding a tbs or 2 of flax seed as well.

Teaberry,

Down here, the sofrito is in the aisle where the katchup, mustard, bbq sauce, pickles, etc are...the Sazon is in the spice isle, as it is packages of powdered spice. The chorizos are over by the meat department...

I'd ask the manager at your grocery store...things like this that usta be *specialty* items are becoming more widely available. The sofrito is more a spanish and puerto rican cooking aid rather than a mexican one.

Good luck!

P.S. ...Buttercup: Sofrito is pronounced SO-FREE-TOE...and Sazon is prounced SAY-ZONE... and tomato sauce is prounced TOE-MAY-TOE SAASE...

rofl

I have a friend that put pork chorizo in her spaghetti sauce and said it was really good. I just happened to check out the wrapper to look at the ingredients.I would rather have not known it has pork salivary glands, lymph nodes and fat (cheeks) in it. I had to make my own dinner that night.

Archived