MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

rice/potato question

Pixie, a potato ricer is a small handheld kitchen device that holds about a cup of potatoes in the bowl area, and has a handle on it that's hinged with a round solid plate on it and a handle on the bowl part. . There are holes in the bottom of the bowl portion. When you pull the handle over the top and push the two handles together, it forces the potatoes out of the bottom in tiny little 'rice' pieces.

When you make gnocchi, you want the potatoes riced because you need the smallest pieces possible to mix with the rest of the ingredients, yet still be firm.

I hope this helped.

for mashed potatos i use my hand held beaters. creamy, and no lumps.

so, a ricer is basically like a giant garlic press then. lol

i tell sapphire that bay leaves are good luck, make a wish and lick it off. hee hee. that way i dont have to fish them out of my spaghetti sauce lol

Barging in on this thread LOL!

We do use instant potatoes, simply because we do not eat fresh taters up quick enough......and I always like to have instant on hand as a thickener (works great if some things turn out too soupy).

What we have done for instants si either add sour cream or ranch dressing and beat to smooth it out. One of our friends, he HATES instant potatoes. He has eaten them heaven knows HOW many times at our house and always loves them (and not just by saying he likes them , he eats like 3 helpings!).

Another one is roasted minced garlic...yum, yum!

It is one of the very few things I buy instant.

Just thought I'd barge in here and add my .02 on instant taters

Shawna

I keep instant potatoes on hand for those times when I misjudge the amount of milk I need in my mashed potatoes. I just stir some instant in, and they're rescued.

If I didn't have a potato ricer, what I would do is press the cooked potatoes through a mesh strainer...I have a few strainers with smaller and larger sized mesh, so I would use the larger meshed one...

Alot of these gadgets are awesome, they save time and work, but if you don't mind using a little extra muscle, you can accomplish the same thing with usual and customary items you already have in your home...

Just something to think about.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I don't get it.. What's wrong with lumps? When I make potatoes my oldest dd complains if it's creamy. I know weird child..

(Edited to say how the heck do you spell weird? Weird or wierd? I know how to spell it weird.. That is one word that makes the i before e phrase incorrect..)

Archived