MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Vacinating Large Numbers Of People In Michigan

shadypines

On Saturday, in Southeastern Michigan, the State of Michigan

had three locations where people could get their flu shots free.

It was stated when you went there that this was also a test for the Public Health Department.

Their test was to set up an area where large numbers of people could be

given their flu vacines quickly. They did handle large

volumes of people in long lines. The average was twenty

minutes.

Now,I presume the test was actually to see how quickly

they could vacinate for the bird flu or anthrax but no

one was talking about that. The officials in Michigan

have been strangely quiet about thebird flu.

Going back to my Y2k days, "Don't listen to what they say but pay attention to what they do"

Yes... I've seen "drive through" flu shot clinics shown on TV.

I thought at the time that it could be a very efficient way to treat a frightened public afraid of standing in line with possibly other sick people.

They were in a large building with garage doors on each side; people drove in, offered their arms, then drove out the other side. I believe it was a fire station, from the stories I've found.

I'm guessing they might put forth "mandatory vaccinations" if Avian Flu goes human-to-human and they have enough vaccine by then.

I'm seeing a doctor soon to find out what that would mean for people who have never been vaccinated before. I don't like the idea, but if it's a pandemic.....I just don't know. I like guinea pigs, but I don't like being one.

When you think about it, all they'd have to do is have mandatory vaccinations at Mickey D's drive through windows and in checkout lines at Walmart to cover 99% of the population in a week's time.....

I mean, who in their right mind could quarantine themselves from McDonalds and Walmart for long?

It's a surefire way to get most people vaccinated in a big hurry.

In all sincerity, I'm not big on vaccinations.....

Quote:
I'm guessing they might put forth "mandatory vaccinations" if Avian Flu goes human-to-human and they have enough vaccine by then.

Our government doesn't even have enough regular flu shots
for everyone, there is no way in the world that they are
going to have enough Avian shots for everyone. Every year
they run out of shots. They don't even have enough for all
the children. At the pediatricians office this weekend
they ran out of shots and had to turn children away, they
told them to come back in December. How's that for your
government?

Don't rely on the government for your Avian flu needs.

DH's cardiologist recommened we get some Tamiflu, but also get the pneumonia shot. I tend to agree about the pneumonia shot since this is the way the flu tends to kill most of those that have contracted it.

My understanding is that they're always guessing about what type of flu will hit. Even now with this Avian Flu they don't have the exact strain of the human-to-human virus it may mutate into. So it makes it hard to produce until the virus is already up and kicking.

Tamiflu helps reduce the severity of the flu and it must be administered within the first two days of symptoms. The government probably had enough to handle a regular flu bug affecting the elderly, small children and the immune compromised. But they don't have enough for every man, woman and child if the Avian Flu goes human-to-human. Westie, you're right that they've known this could come for several years, but the nature of government bureaucracy is to be inefficient and slow. Most everything must be voted on and printed on reams and reams of paper to go in some file afterall. It would be great if government looked more ahead than most citizens do, but the government is just a group of human beings too. Human nature tends to put off until tomorrow what it can do magnificently today. (Sheesh, I'm talking to myself.)

Quote:
DH's cardiologist recommened we get some Tamiflu, but also get the pneumonia shot. I tend to agree about the pneumonia shot since this is the way the flu tends to kill most of those that have contracted it.

Since I am a diabetic, the pneumonia shot is very important
to me. It is my year to get one.

There are so many differing opinions on how often to get the Pneumonia shot. My health insurance company says every 5 years, but both Dr's I've asked about it have said once before 65, then every five years after that. I had one in 1997, and not since. I should have asked for one when I went to the Senior Citizen Center for my flu shot. They would have given me one. Sheesh, the woman even asked me for my Medicare card! Well, ok, I could be eligible at my tender, young age, if I'd been disabled for five years. Cavey assured me I don't look 65.

Archived