MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What's For Dinner at your House? 11/15/05

lol @ CeeGee...

I was just sitting here thinking what to make for dinner...I'm kinda wiped out today, didn't sleep much last night and knees are swelling blahblahblah...

I don't really feel like cooking but I need to because the children love home cooked meals, and I really didn't cook for a week...yesterday I kinda over did it, ground some grain, made some bread, made a couple of desserts, made dinner, etc...

Maybe I'll just make beef quesidillas...they're fast and easy and the children love them.

Like some others, I am pleased that I know this early in the day what is for dinner tonight. Whole wheat spaghetti with a jar (sigh) of sauce, plus stir friend Garlic Spinach - if we want dessert it will be low carb yogurt! Right now it sounds pretty good to me!

After having BBQ'd baked chicken breasts, then leftovers with cheese sandwiches, tonight I'm cutting up what's left.

I'm putting it into cooked macaroni, spaghetti sauce, chopped onion, black olives, and three cheeses to make a casserole.

After 2 nights, I have to disguise it VERY WELL!!! LOL

7-Layer Casserole

1 cup uncooked rice

1 1-lb can whole kernal corn, undrained

1 tsp seasoned salt

1/4 tsp. seasoned pepper

1 beef bouillon cube

3/4 cup boiling water

1 15-oz can Hunt's Tomato Sauce with Tomato Bits

1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp Italian seasoning

1 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup each: chopped green pepper and celery

1 lb lean ground beef

1 cup shredded mmild Cheddar cheese

2 Tbs imitation bacon bits

In 2 qt casserole, arrange ingredients in layers in the following order:

Rice mixed well with corn, half the salt and pepper, bouillon cube and boiling water.

Half of tomato sauce that has been mixed with Worcestershire suace and Italian seasoning.

Chopped onion, green pepper, and celery.

Uncooked ground beef, remaining salt and pepper.

Remaining tomato sauce mixture. Cover tightly, bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

Sprinkle with cheese, bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer.

Top with bacon bits before serving. Makes 4-6 servings.

I got this recipe from "Best Recipes from the backs of Boxes, Bottles, and Jars" Finally a cookbook that has more than 3 or 4 recipes in the whole thing that my family actually likes! Beth's DH doesn't like green peppers, celery, or onions, so I made him a special one that used carrots instead. Turns out that's the one the kids prefer as well. Last night I tried it with brown rice, shouldn't have done that, the rice was still hard, and I had added extra water and an extra 30 minutes. The other 3 times I've made this, I used instant rice, and it was great. This is one of the few things everyone will actually eat without complaining.

Archived