MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Guest Guest

raises hand...several times.

I would eat it more often if we had more of them. I have also eaten raccoon, come on over... I have one in my freezer, she was older and I will make chili out of her.

If they are young I fry them. If not stew or chili.

They are so similar to chicken in texture, flavor and looks when fried.

Teach the kids to use a .22 and how to bark a tree and you will have lots to eat. Also save the skins! if you aren't ready to tan then, place them in a baggie and freeze them until you have enough.

What to do with squirrel skins? hats, gloves, line a coat, rug, bed spread, place over the windows to keep air out... it is a fur and they can be sold to reinactors.

If it is a male, save the penis bone.. they are worth about $3-5 each. Used for toothpicks again for reinactors.

Raising hand here as well....

We have eaten squirrel. The best way we've had it is fried. I never cooked squirrel until about 4-5 years ago, and lemme tell ya, the first try it got thrown out LOL! We cooked it in the crockpot with garlic and onions (maybe something else, but can't remember now) and oh my word, it was the GROSSEST thing ever. We had a bunch froze, though, and I wanted to know how to cook it properly, since I obviously wasn't doing something right

Shawna

Guest Guest

LS,

it is exactly like cooking rabbit!

chicken, rabbit, squirrel, raccoon... all use the same recipes.

opposum is different, rattle snake is good BBQ and like chicken!

We like squirrel here also. I fry it too but especially love it in a stew with potatoes, carrots, onions and etc. I often boil it first, take the meat off the bones and use it just like chicken in the stew. It's not as good cold, like as in chicken salad, but it can be used.

As for opposum, I like mine soaked in milk overnight to take out the 'wild' taste AFTER I remove every single piece of fat I can get. Then I slow cook it until tender. It's actually very good. Especially nice with mushroom soup or a white sauce over noodles.

Yup, if you are hungry, you can eat a LOT of things. Don't forget turtle. Hard to butcher but great to eat.

Our squirrel, ate through our rubber maid tub that we store the dog food in. Unbelievable.

They are so small, how much meat can you get off one of these critters. Maybe they are bigger where you live, here they are size of a large mouse.

Necie, I thought you were going to tell me Westie was just joking....LOL

Well if I had to eat one I would. Thx.

Sunny-around here we typically hunt fox squirrels....

button.jpg

or grey sqirrels........

greysquirrel.jpg

You probably have a red squirrel..........

redsquirrel2sm.jpg

They can and do get into everything, including attics and walls. We consider red squirrels a general pain in the a**. If caught-usually in a mouse trap if in the house, or shot if outdoors-they get tossed. They are very tiny for a squirrel. Am sure that they are edible, though-if need be.

Necie, yes I believe we have the red squirrel. I think dh got him. He put a peanut butter baited rat trap in the bin and we think he's gone for sure. Bit of blood on the ground but so far he is no where in sight. I was sure we had more than one and even typing this out 1 does sound odd. Not sure why we haven't seen any squirrels around?

Just editing to add that the reason we wanted to "get" him was because not long ago we had one living in the house....was very difficult to catch it and luckily dh and I did not get hurt in the process. Long story. As you well know they can really do damage inside the home. Did not want that to happen again. We love the creatures around here but have to stay on top of things especially when it could mean devastating consequence for the family.

Archived