MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Soft Pickles..

Synn

I make several kinds of pickles every year.. And usually end up with some really good flavors but they are soft and mushy.. This gets really frustrating.. Do any of you use alum and lime? If you don't use either one who do you get your pickles to stay crispy and firm?

Guest Guest

Well, here's the scoop...

Westie was hanging off the chandelier, swining back and forth, trying to grab her hubby's attention...when she was in the process of swinging away from him (because she missed the first time), she inadvertantly knocked over the tower to her computer and broke it.

But not to worry! I am on the phone with her as I read her what i'm typing, and SHE says...

"Grapeleaves".

That was it...that's all she said. ROFL!

Now, you can do whatever you want with that information, but you can count on it being straight from the horses mouth, and as soon as she picks up the pieces to her computer, I'm sure she'll elaborate further.

Ooooops...she said to tell you, there is no elaboration.

ROFLMAO!

I try to use smaller pickles for dills and sweets that I want to stay crunchy. And if I have to cut them, then YES-GRAPELEAVES.

Then I use the larger pickles that would have to be cut for bread and butters and chunky mexican pickles and relishes.

I've found that a good soaking in ICE with a little water for anywhere from 3-6 hours also helps.

When doing dills, WHOLE PICKLES, be very careful washing them not to break the skin and I do not cut off the ends.

Also use them the day you pick them. FIRST-whole dills and sweets. Pick in the morning, clean and put to soak in ice water, get your other stuff ready, read the kids a book or whatever, then after pickles are good and crunchy-3 hrs or so...CAN! If someone offers ya free pickles and they are a day or two old-use them for sliced/chunky pickles or relish. And..NO-keeping them in the frige does not keep them crunchy.

• 9 months later...

Archived