MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Olives

KimMC

Ok dh is an olive nut. I want to buy one of the big gallon jars and re can them into pint or half pints. Can some one tell me how to do this? Can they be water bathed? Anyone have a brine mix incase there old brine isnt' enough.

Thanks

Olives are a no or low acid food so it would hafta be canned in some type of brine. It would also hafta be pressure canned which would probably effect the firmness of the olives and maybe make them mushy.

If you still are thinking about trying it, I'll see if I can find any instructions for you.

Quote:
Olives are a no or low acid food so it would hafta be canned in some type of brine. It would also hafta be pressure canned which would probably effect the firmness of the olives and maybe make them mushy.

If you still are thinking about trying it, I'll see if I can find any instructions for you.

Thanks, if you can find them I'd like to try it anyway. I can get a gallon jar for 13.00 and that's a huge savings over buying the smaller jars/cans.

Ok-I'm gonna disagree and say you can can olives in a water bath.

Like sauerkraut-if they have enough salt content. My recipe says 1 1/2 Tablespoons per 1 quart of water. Or you could do them like pickles and use any sweet pickle or dill pickle recipe brine.

I think this is a very interesting idea. Especially if you could get your hands on fresh raw olives. Otherwise I'd think you could re-can them in the same brine that they come in with a hot water bath.

I was assuming green, but black olives also have a very high salt content in the brine.

I'm following this thread 'cause we have 3 olive trees. They had some tiny olives on them until the frost got them. I don't know if we will ever have olives that survive the winter, but there is a lot of new growth. Maybe someday we will have lots of olives and I'll want to know how to keep them.

Archived