MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wheat flour

I've been cooking with wheat flour to see how it differs

from white when cooking and see how it effect my family.

Is there anyone who ony uses wheat flour?

I made some chicken and I made some white gravy to put

over the mashed potatoes and chicken. I used wheat

flour.

Are there any other meals, sauces, etc. that wheat flour

just will taste right with? What about making a white

cake?

What we did is start with a recipe that takes white flour and added a little more wheat flour each time we made it. So we could get used to it. Some things we will never get used to, so we have some white flour and or corn starch on hand for those. Gravy is one of them.

We make all whole wheat bread. pancakes and waffles are still a mix of the two.

We switch back and forth for noodles.

I cann't help with the cakes and cookies, but bannana bread is all whole wheat and very good.

The wheat flour you buy tastes awful to me. We grind our own wheat. The grinder you use makes a difference also. You want it ground fine. We love it in everything and no longer use any white flour. I buy both hard red wheat and soft wheat. I use the soft wheat in cakes and other baked goods, but use the hard red for breads. I'm not sure if you are buying it in the store, but it has been ground for a while and just tastes stale that way, to us anyway.

Hi, time4me2! Welcome! Please go to The Sunporch and introduce yourself to everyone. We're so glad to have you here. I'm relatively new myself but I've learned quite a bit in a short amount of time.

I grind my wheat with an electric mill which, of course, we all know will be a glorified paperweight if TSHIF! LOL I, too, would like to know what manually-operated grinders folks recommend. And also how difficult they are to use. I don't seem to have a lot of upper body strength.

I have a Back to Basics model which is ok for small amounts of flour if you run it through twice. If you go to the Walton Feeds site, they have some good comparisons of grinders. They have one for just over $300 that I would like (I don't remember the name of it right now). It also grinds seeds and such. It doesn't take a lot of upper body strength to use one, just endurance! But that's what teenagers are for, right?

CP is right...there are various types of whole grain wheat, and each serves a different purpose.

Pastry flour is also called "soft wheat" as opposed to bread wheat which is "hard wheat", either red or white. "White" wheat makes lighter bread, but "red" wheat works just as well. Pastry flour has less gluten and is better suited for quickbreads, muffins, pancakes, cakes, cookies, etc. It does not have sufficient gluten for loaf bread. Hard wheat has more gluten and is better suited for bread, rolls etc. It has too much gluten for pancakes, etc., and sometimes you can end up with rubbery muffins and pancakes if using hard wheat.

I would assume if you're thickening gravies and such that you would wanna use a soft wheat, as it has a milder taste.

We have a corona hand grinder. After we grind the wheat i sift it and put the course stuff back through again.

Than i take the course stuff after sifting out the fines again and cook it like a hot cereal. It is then added back to the bread dough when it has cooled a bit and after the yeast has been added to the dough.

The corona grain mill is for grinding corn and I don't think it is meant to get the grain really fine. We like the bread though. It will get some bread on the table though in a pinch.

I have a Country LIving Grain Mill and that thing is built like a tank! It comes with a hand crank, but I hooked up a motor to it. It wasnt too hard to grind by hand, but I am too lazy...

I agree with what was previously said about bread versus pastry flour. We use only whole grains, but I make gravy with cornstarch. I use pastry flour for white sauce, and I dont get any complaints. I do use only half whole wheat for some cakes (makes the cake a lot lighter), but weve actually gotten used to the texture of all whole grains.

Pretty much everything is made from scratch around here, FWIW...

I agree about starting out mixing white and wheat flour to get your family used to it as well as using Pastry flour...it is much lighter.

I had a Champion Juicer, so I just purchased the grinder to go on that. It works great!

Archived