MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Apple Pie Filling

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the link Leah, but that is not the recipe, nor would I can it with the cornstarch...once again, unapproved thickeners are a big no-no. Clear Jel is an approved thickner and does and awesome job though.

I think you will be happier with the Clear jel since cornstarch breaks down during canning. You will need to order Clear Jel online most likely, but a few county extension offices, a few cake decorating shops, Wilco, and some Amish stores, and a few health food stores carry it. It is most often ordered, though.

Nice product.

The following quote is from http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/factsheets/FP02_08.pdf

Quote:
SOURCES OF CLEARJEL®

ClearJel® is often available in small quantities at cake decorator and candy making supply stores. Several other mail order services are available:

1. Sweet Celebrations

1-800-328-6722

www.sweetc.com

2. Kitchen Krafts

1-800-776-0575

www.kitchenkrafts.com

3. Bunn Capitol Company (available only in 25 lb. containers)

P.O. Box 4227

1212 Adlai Stevenson Dr.

Springfield, IL 62708

217-529-5401

www.bunncapitol.com

I'm sure if you google Clear Jel, you'll find many more sources.

• 1 month later...

Here is the one we use-

(It is also on our website)

*This makes a very nice pie as all you need is a crust and then just pour this in and bake.

Apple Pie Filling

28 cups apples, peeled and sliced or shredded (not too fine)

Syrup:

4 1/2 cups white sugar

1 1/4 cup clear jell or Therm Flo

2 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. salt

10 cups water

Cook syrup until thick and bubbly. Add:

3 tbsp. lemon juice

Pour over apples in large dishpan and mix. Spoon into sterile jars; don't make jars too full as it expands while processing. Put in hot water bath for 20 minutes. Makes 8 quarts.

Hints: We sliced the apples as opposed to shredding them. Plus I used Therm-Flo as it makes a creamier syrup. Also, we made a double batch but we did one batch at a time. Enjoy

~us~

I order from Barry Farms. They have always given me great service.

I keep both kinds, regular for canning and instant for thickening things up when cooking. I make a copycat KFC coleslaw that is good, but the dressing is so thin. I stir in a little instant Clear Jel and it works really well. I also add some to my jars of salsa after opening to thicken it up if it is more thin than I like.

I have not tried it, but hear the Instant makes a quick and good freezer jam.

Archived