MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Introducing Me

SisZam

Hello everyone!

I've been reading on this site for many months now and finally decided to join. I started learning about preparedness before Y2K. Having extra food stored has helped my family through several family emergencies.

I'm a 40 year old, married, Christian. I've been married to my best friend for four years. For the moment we live in southern California. I married a Cali boy so I'm "doing time" here for a few years. Eventually we hope to buy a house or two in Tennessee or the midwest. I grew up in the south and I sure do miss it.

I have three sons. All are grown. The youngest (18) still lives at home. One of my older sons is a Marine. I don't really discuss my children online but I'm a peace mom. At the moment the person I most respect is Cindy Sheehan. Many call me a dirty hippy. Just as many call me a conservative bible thumper. I say I think for myself. Just giving you an overview of who I am. I don't intend to get into politics while here.

I look forward to learning and sharing with you all. I hope to make good friends here.

Hey SisZam!

Welcome aboard! Your going to love it here..oh that's right, you've been lurking, you already know your gonna love it here.

Still, it's great your reaching out!

Watch out for that Becca-Anne though, she's a rabble rouser

Welcome SZ! We're so glad you've joined us.

Many of us have been prepping for years also...it's a lifestyle and not necessarily preparation for *an event*. I know what you mean when you talk about those preps coming in handy over the years because I've had the same thing happen. I think that's one of the reasons I believe in this lifestyle so much.

Welcome from another new member! I married a California boy, too, but fortunately, I met him in Florida. We've been in Georgia for almost 27 years now, though. What do you miss most about the south? I've never lived anywhere else but the south, except for the three years we were in Germany back in the 70's, when my husband was in the Army.

~~Loretta

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Jennysmama asked what I miss most about the south.

I miss:

1. tornadoes and storms...real weather

2. true seasons...in Cali by the beach its always "nice"

3. polite, smiling people

4. police that you don't have to be afraid off

5. gun laws that don't remove rights

6. the lack of major gangs

7. green, lush mountains

8. a southern accent instead of a foriegn language

9. school teachers who don't speak broken english (before

my son graduated)

10.affordable cost of living

To be fair I do like the lack of humidity in Cali. I like going to Mexico to visit my husbands relatives. The ocean is nice. There are a lot of free programs for adult learning and teenagers that weren't available to my son in the south. There is no tension between blacks and whites here. I love that. I have seen racism from some Mexicans toward whites. I'm the only white person in my husbands family. LOL

Cali is a nice place if you have a lot of money and can live in the right areas.

Hmmm...I like a little pop-up thunderstorm just fine, but having had part of our roof removed by a tornado, and having grown up in Florida with tons of hurricanes, I can't say I would miss that kind of weather if I ever moved away, lol. I think most of the rest of the items on your list still hold true, although I have cringed quite a few times at the bad grammar of a teacher being interviewed on the news. I'd love to see our area get past the racial tension that's still all too prevalent. It's better than it used to be, though--I still remember signs that said "Whites Only", on water fountains and restroom doors and in restaurants, when I was a child. Sad...

~~Loretta

I grew up the only white girl in a black neighborhood. The only racism I saw in thirty years was toward whites. I'm sure it still happens the other way around though. There are ignorant people of every race. Sad but true.

Jennasmama I take it that picture is not you. If it is you look REALLY good for your age. Or I look really bad for mine. LOL

SisZam, you crack me up, lol! That picture is of Jenny, my daughter, hence my screen name, Jennysmama. (And yes, it annoys me that I can't use an apostrophe in there, lol!) Trust me, I don't look good for ANY age! I think I peaked in my early 20's, lol.

Loretta

Archived