MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Do you think this is safe?

bluegrassmom

Read this:

http://marymae.tripod.com/jar/122.htm

I read the warning but I did not understand if it was not recommended for just that brand of jar or all jars across the board. If this is safe I know it would be something my family would love.

I remember when I was little there was a local store that sold cakes like this and we got them all the time and loved them. No one ever got sick.

There was just a post on this the other day, I think...you're not actually canning the cake, you're baking it in a jar, so it would still be subject to mold. The lid would probably hold it off for awhile, but still.

Probably a pretty gift, if you can get past that "thermal shock" thing (the jars breaking from the influx of cold air when you open the oven) but probably not good for long term storage, was the gist of Cat's reply.

Mo7

From past experience, cakes in a jar is not a very safe idea. They do go bad, they don't last, and for those that rave about how they do, then the best I can come up with is that they just got lucky.

The Ball/Kerr canning site does state that their jars are not made to be used in this manner.

Putting the cakes in a canning jar to give out as gifts communicates that they have a longer shelf stable life than they actually do. It would be better to bake it in a loaf pan and hand them out that way, than in the jars.

I wouldn't waste your money on the jars, ingredients or time, if I were you. And THAT is my opinion on that! lol

• 2 years later...

Necie, it works on my computer, however you have to turn off your pop up blocker.

With that being said, these are NOT safe to do. Botulism can grow in them. You have no way of knowing if botulism is in those jars until it may be too late. You can't see, taste or smell botulism.

Besides, none of the jars are safe to use in the oven like that, even if it were safe otherwise. The glass can shatter and send glass flying all over.

Please, do not attempt to make those things. This is Mrs.Survival. We all want everyone to be safe and survive ! Ok, that is my 2 cents worth for today.

Archived