MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

need some cleaning advice

mistylady

I was looking at the stove in the new place (the farm that someday will be habitable). Hmmmm...thinks the Misty...now why would any company make the backsplash of the stove textured? (Touch, touch) Gross! It's not textured. It's covered in raised lumps of grease. Lots of them.

What's the best way to get rid of that much grease? Any help would be apprciated! Thank you!

The house I bought before this one was a total wreck. The kitchen was absolutely covered in grease and filth. The only thing that I found that would take it off was a degreaser that we used on engine parts. I don't recall the name of it, but it is a pink liquid sold at Checker. I used that and a metal putty knife on the cabinets and the degreaser and plastic scrubber on the stove. Of course, I opened the windows and doors and wore rubber gloves!

If your mess is less severe, you might try Simple Green or Dissolve It, or Goo Be Gone. They all work on nasty, cooked on, old grease!

If the backsplash is removable, put it in the bathtub, cover with hot water, dump in 2 cups of baking soda, then pour in 1/2 gallon of vinegar. Let it soak until the water cools a bit, then scrape it off with a plastic putty knife. Be sure to put the scrapings in the trash, don't let them go down the drain.

If it doesn't all come off the first time, repeat until it's clean.

The bonus is that the baking soda and vinegar will also help to clean your plumbing pipes.

If it's not removable, place a thick layer of paper towels under the edge of the backsplash. Make a thin paste of baking soda and spread it on the grease. Fill a spray bottle with 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 hot water. Spray the vinegar solution on the paste and scrape with the putty knife. Repeat until clean.

The coolest thing about baking soda and vinegar is that it's non-toxic and it will clean almost anything that can get wet. I've even used it to soak grease out of clothing before putting it in the washer. I've also used it on my mini-blinds. Good luck!

One other thing; You know those filters that fit in the exhaust hood over the stove? You can take one from disgustingly gross to it looks almost brand new, by using the baking soda and vinegar. Just soak it in the kitchen sink and use a scrub brush to work it into the fiter; rinse and repeat.

Thank you everyone! Westie, you gave me a good laugh and I needed it!

The filter in the hood is so gross! It's brown with nasty stuff! I'm glad it can be cleaned! I thought I'd have to replace it and this place seems to eating money pretty fast!

I don't know if the backsplash comes off - it's probably held on with goo! I wonder if goo isn't holding the entire stove together and I'll clean it and it'll fall apart!

I like the non-toxic idea! Wish me luck! Tomorrow is the day of cleaning the stove! I appreciate all the help! Any volunteers......I'll make cookies in the clean stove (I'm not above bribery)!

Quote:
hire a cleaning crew!

In my (limited) experience, a cleaning crew won't bother cleaning everything thoroughly! They don't get the grunge out of the bathroom taps . What you really need is to hire my mother! Now she is one thorough cleaner!

Good luck with your cleaning!

~Jo

PS: Nana, I'm going to use your advice about the exhaust filter. I'm sure mine could use a cleaning by now. Thanks!

Archived