MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

home made brown sugar?

Generally, 1cup white sugar to 1T molasses is the rule of thumb. Depending on whether you're trying to make a light or dark brown sugar, will decide how much molasses to use.

Perhaps start on the low side, mixing it up with a fork or a mixer until you get it just where you want it.

Good luck!

Ditto for what Darlene said. I havent' bought brown sugar in forever LOL....I keep molasses on hand. If you use alot of molasses (I do, because I make BBQ sauces, pancake syrup, brown sugar, etc, etc) check with a bulk food store. The store near us sells a gallon for 10.00--it's almost 3.00 for about a pint-worth at places like Walmart and grocery store.

For most thigns I dont' even mix up the sugar and molasses...I just add both to the pot/mixer. For cookies, I add the sugar and add the molasses right in the mixer (no *making* the brown sugar first). Same for things like BBQ sauce....just add each ingredient to the pot.

Shawna

rofl...oldest DD learned the origin of the saying "slow as molasses" over the weekend. We ran out of brown sugar (I do buy it) so I told her how to make it.

Now, we're almost out of molasses, too, so she had to wait for it to come from the bottom of the jar LOL. She was a bit frustrated by the time she was done!

Mo7

If you pop the molasses in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds it will 'hurry' it along. This also works for slow honey and syrup.

Archived