MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

MY VERSION of a canning marathon

YYY

Hi everybody,

I just want to check in and say hello.

For the past 3 days, I have had MY VERSION of a canning marathon. I know it doesn’t compare with a lot of yours. And it may set off a few (OK, a lot of) giggles, but I am very proud of myself.

Anyway I canned 5 pints of tomatoes, 7 pints of sliced apples, and 5 ½ pints of chunky applesauce. (I like pints because there are only 2 of us.)

I really had a good time.

YYY

I'm so proud of you YYY...that is absolutely awesome!

No giggles here, just a heart that feels all warmed reading how much you're enjoying canning...that's what matters the most.

You get no awards for being outta control like I can be at times...I'm probably nuts, and I know most think I am, but that's ok too...lol

Keep up the good work.

Go Girl!!! I know what you mean... I just took out 7 qts of beef stew. This is the 2nd weekend in a row that I canned. I am waiting on the pinging now. It is a lot of work, I didn't get any house work done this weekend! I made the stew kinda like Darlene's recipe for chicken soup, but used roast instead, and browned the roast chunks first.... The jars look pretty, sitting there bubbling away on the counter. I made my broth from a roast yesterday, ( used the meat today from the broth, smothered in gravy.) and have about 3 qts left of beef broth that I stuck in the freezer. I wish I woulda left it out and canned it tommorrow night. Oh well. The more I can, the more I like it!

When I can I am only doing 5 pints at a time. It is all my tiny canner will hold. It is so worth having my own stuff canned back. Just finished canning 5 pints of grape jelly. Will can some grape juice this weekend. If there are only 2 of you the pints are just the right size. Congratz on your canning! keep it up.

The above batch of stew I cooked has small amts of fat at the top, after I browned the meat in butter, I forgot to rinse it or anything........ The fat is in small globs not as big as a nickel, some less than a dime, if it was all together in each jar... Will this affect the life of the product, or the quality???? It looks good though, even with these small amts of yellow floating on the top.

Archived