MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My Canner Purchase

Granny

d4_1.JPG

No. 7 American Pressure Cooker. It holds 15.5 quarts of liquid and is very heavy cast alum. It is made by the Wisoncin Aluminum Foundry Co. It is in great shape and I have been told and believe that it has never been used but since i dont know for sure i have listed it as used. Comes with instructions and receipes book, aluminum inset dish, steamer rack , 1 cross bar (manual says there should be 2), 2 kidney shaped inset dishes with handles and also has the originial warranty (guarantee registration number) card.

Winning bid: US $31.01

Shipping costs: US $16.67

Well drat! I was thinking it would do both. You may be right tho. Guess I'll have to wait until the book gets here and read it to see what all it does. Anyway needed a cooker and water bath canner too so hoping it was still a good value. Oh dear.. should I "kick myself"? LOL

And Wes... I'm still waiting for you to send me the tassels.

You can safely can in it if it is tall enough. If it holds at least 4 quart jars, it is large enough to be considered a canner.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/...ss_canners.html Pressure canners come deep enough for one layer of quart or smaller size jars, or deep enough for two layers of pint or smaller size jars. The USDA recommends that a canner be large enough to hold at least 4 quart jars to be considered a pressure canner for its published processes.

You will need to get the gauge tested before you use it. It is an old model, and they rely on the dial for canning. Be sure to process at 11 lb. for a dial gauge, unless you live at a higher elevation and have to add for it.

The new models of All American have both a dial and a weight, but I see you have the old petcock.

Let us know how you like it. Try doing a trial run with just water in it at first, too. Put 2-3 inches of water in the bottom, just like you would can something. Then let it vent for 10 min. then close the petcock and see how it builds up the pressure. Check to see that no water seeps from around the lid seal.

Good luck to you !

Not to worry, it's a pressure canner...alot of times people that list things on Ebay don't know how to accurately list them correctly. With the All American's, they are either strictly pressure canners or pressure cooker/pressure canners.

You did good chica...good luck!

Archived