MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Drying Food

Grubby

I have Cookin’ with Home Storage and two of her booklets.

I like her Copy Cat Cookin’ and might put that on my

"wish list".

I've had dehydrators in the past but after seeing this

program I might have get another one. I'd like to dry

more foods then putting them in the freezer.

Hi!

My sister and I are having fun with our new dehydrators. We were wondering, though, how long can we store these foods, if we vacuum seal them in jars. Would they last longer with O2 absorbers or is vacuum sealing enough? We would prefer not to store these foods in the freezer.

I have done six bags of frozen green beans...The little ones from Aldis. I dried them, then soaked them, in boiling water for about an hour in a covered pot. I would have never known they had been dried. They were great. I just threw the frozen beans onto the tray and dried them for 12 hours, at 125 degrees. I have the Excaliber, so don't know if other dehydrators might take a different temp. or time.

Thanks!

Here is a GREAT page with food storage info:

http://www.waltonfeed.com/grain/life.html

Quote:
Dehydrated vegetables store well if hermetically sealed in the absence of oxygen. Plan on a storage life of 8-10 years at a stable temperature of 70 degrees F. They should keep proportionately longer if stored at cooler temperatures.

I interpret "absence of oxygen" to mean either packed in nitrogen or sealed with an O2 absorber.

Thanks HSmom for all your help! My sister is busy, busy...Shopping, drying, and tomorrow beginning her first day of canning meats!

Now I know how best to store my dried foods and how long they will last. I wonder if vacuum sealing is considered hermetically sealed.

Archived