MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Stocking your herbal medicine chest

MommyofSeven

OK, ladies, what are your top suggestions for stocking your herbal medicine chest? I have been away from my herbal studies for far too long, but "something" tells me that I need to get back to them. When I get my taxes I'm going to place an order at herbalcom, and I wanted some others' advice on what they feel are good.

I'm also wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a group buy for some of the more expensive medicinals, such as Goldenseal. A pound of powder is $63, even a 1/4 pound is pretty high for some folks, but if we bought a pound together and each of us bought an ounce or two it would be down around $4 an oz. If anyone is interested in doing that let me know.

Also I'm wondering about a good source for stuff like beeswax, etc, for making salves and such. Any suggestions?

Mo7

Quote:

Also I'm wondering about a good source for stuff like beeswax, etc, for making salves and such. Any suggestions?

Mo7

I came across this site for bulk beeswax.

I'm also interested in knowing what I should keep/grow.
I bought a couple of herb books but I'm clueless on what
I should have.

Somewhere, in cyberland, Lois and I have addressed this question before but for the life of me, I can't find where it is. Some of it might have been lost when the web site went down and Lois became Gardnmom for a while and I became Raeba. Perhaps it's really there but buried in another thread. There's lots of info in the archives, especially under 'My Herbal BOB chapters one and two' thread and there's some good info by Lois in the Survival Manual forum too, so you might do a search there and read some of those back posts.

Still, it doesn't seem to be in it's own thread so perhaps we should just start it again here. Good name for it. Let me do a bit more looking and get my thoughts together and I'll post my list. Maybe Lois will post hers too.

I believe this is the list that Mother was refering to, we had been working on it for the manual but had to get it finished. The last 3 have been quickly finished in order to post it now. So we will probably have to refine it a bit for the manual.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10 herbs:

…#1 Stinging Nettle is nourishing and a healer of damaged tissue; it is a digestive restorative, a respiratory, kidney, intestinal, and artery strengthener. I am drinking a glass of the cooled infusion as I type, having steeped a tablespoon of the dried leaf for eight hours in a cup and a half of boiling water. But we are speaking of tincture so if your nettle tincture is made from fresh nettle leaf the dosage would be 5-100 drops a day in water. Tincture of fresh nettle is preferred for easing pain, nourishing the immune system, and healing acute skin rashes.

Nettle is very high in calcium, magnesium, trace minerals, and chlorophyll; high in chromium, cobalt, iron, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, and sulphur, as well as the B complex of vitamins and the carotenes. Leaves and stalks also supply niacin, protein, manganese, selenium, silicon, vitamin C complex, and vitamins D and K.

...#2 Astragalus is an immune tonic, which is to say, it adds strength to your system so that your overall health is improved and, therefore, also your resistance to disease. This herb is recommended both to prevent and treat virtually any disease that involves the immune system, the cardiovascular system, and glands from all of the other systems. It is the herb for all immune system breakdowns, including colds, fevers, infections, AIDs; all cardiovascular problems, including heart disease, vascular degeneration and congestion; and all glandular problems, including liver, kidney, spleen and adrenal gland problems. It protects the liver from fatty degeneration caused by poisons like carbon tetrachloride, promotes diuresis, lowers blood pressure, and increases overall stamina and endurance.

Astragalus is applicable in the treatment and prevention of virally contracted colds and inflenza, as it induces interferon production, which has the end result of preventing viruses from gaining a foothold in the respiratory tract. It is a very safe herb, even very large doses have not produced toxicity in animals and humans.

Its Chinese name is Huang Qi and is the herb of choice when Qi (pronounced chee...which is life's animating force) is depleted, indicated by lethargy, low resistance and spirit, pale, dull, flaccid muscles.

When this root is purchased dry it resembles a long tongue depressor and is excellent added to your home-brewed soup for a health pick-me-up. The tincture is a good spring and fall tonic… one dropperful in a little water three times daily.

...#3 Echinacea is an immune stimulant, meaning while it will increase immune activity, it will not strengthen, only enhance. Because of this immune stimulants often do not work for people who are weak and deficient because the immune system does not have energy enough with which to work. On the plus side, Echinacea has a profound effect on the number and kind of blood cells in the bloodstream. Findings are consistent that this herb behaves in a manner similar to interferon, thus, in its presence viruses and bacteria have a greatly diminished capacity for causing infections. It is used as an antiseptic, internally and externally, the former by reducing pain, improving the quality of blood to resist infection, or further spread of disease; the latter for healing skin conditions.

For acute type of infections like ear infection, respiratory infection, sinusitis, influenza, stomach flu, urinary tract or kidney infection use Echinacea in larger doses and more frequently. For a child, 1/2 teaspoon of tincture four to five times a day, then lower, with improvement, to three times a day, continuing for a week after symptoms have gone. A larger dose would be appropriate for adults.

Echinacea tea makes a great throat and mouth wash for infected gums, throat, tonsillitis, laryngitis and mouth ulcers; mixed with myrrh, tea tree oil, and calendula flowers it makes a wonderful foot bath for athlete's foot or a rinse for any fungal infection. To prepare, infuse the whole herb with two teaspoons to eight ounces boiling water, steep five to ten minutes and strain. Decoction of the root: use one teaspoon to eight ounces of water, simmer ten minutes and strain.

Note: Echinacea works best when taken with a heating herb, such as ginger.

For protection when being in a room crowded with people who may spread germs, place a small slice of Echinacea under your tongue...you may experience some numbness (tells you the root is viable) but you will have benefit of its medicinal qualities while being in a closed and possibly germ-filled room.

...#4 Valerian is a tonic herb, an antispasmodic that induces sound sleep, eases anxiety, relieves pain, and is an anti-microbial. It has been used for centuries to calm upset nerves, treat mood problems, pain, headache, and in modern times to treat insomnia, nervous tension, muscle cramps and spasm, stress, and numerous other problems. This is an herb with great tranquillizing powers. The nutritional profile gives very high amounts of calcium and selenium; high amounts of chromium, iron, and magnesium; and average amounts of cobalt, manganese, niacin, and potassium.

Roots can be both dry and fresh, the latter provides the most effective remedy, as drying largely destroys the valepotriates. The roots

must be at least two years old, then dug after frost. There's been a frost in my area, the Valerian roots are two years old and it's a New Moon...perfect for making Valerian root tincture.

In a tincture, one-half to one teaspoon in a little water before bed. Valerian should not be given to children under age two.

When suffering from insomnia, mix one dropperful each of Valerian and Passionflower in a little water a half-hour prior to retiring.

...#5 Passionflower, a tonic herb, is used world wide as a mild sedative or nervine that reduces anxiety, nervous tension, high blood pressure, and encourages sleep. The antispasmodic action is also successfully used in the treatment of bronchial asthma and muscle cramps. Early American Indians applied the crushed leaves as a poultice to treat bruises and other injuries; they also brewed the woody vines and drank the tea to soothe their nerves. The Cherokee used a poultice of the root on boils and other inflammations, and they dripped a warm solution of the root extract into the ear for earaches.

The fruit is edible fresh or cooked into juice or jelly. Many commercial fruit juices have passion fruit as an ingredient. A bowl filled with passion fruit sits on my counter, the last remnants of summer.

As a sleep aid or muscle relaxant, use a dropperful of Passionflower tincture and a dropperful of Valerian tincture in a little water, although I often think how soothing it is to look out of my window of a morning and enjoy the masses of lavender flowers spreading across the yard and growing up garden poles provided for that purpose.

...#6 Elderberry has been highly esteemed as one of nature's greatest remedies from the time of Hippocrates. Dr. E.E. Shook in Advanced Treatise in Herbology states: "Of all the herbs ever used by man in the treatment of disease, I do not believe there is one greater or more versatile than the common elder, Sambucus nigra."

Because of the difference in the chemistry and, therefore, their therapeutic effects this incredible healer deals individually with its several parts, bark, leaves, flowers. Following is Shook's formula for elderberry flowers for the treatment of colds, influenza, and fevers of all kinds and as Shook states: "Considering that upwards of six million people died of influenza and that millions have died since, is it not a very great privilege and blessing to be in possession of a knowledge of such a remedy?"

The formula: "Put 2 ounces of dried elder flowers and 2 ounces of cut or granulated peppermint in 1 1/2 pints of boiling water, cover, and let steep in a hot place for 30 minutes. Strain, sweeten with honey, and drink the whole as hot as possible while closely covered in bed. Cover a hot water bottle with a cloth or towel dipped in vinegar and place to the feet. In a few minutes there will be a copious perspiration, the pulse will slow down and the patient will sleep peacefully for hours."

...#7 Myrrh as in Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh - the gifts of the wise men - is the herbalist's cleansing agent, countering putrefaction and poisons throughout the body. An anti-fungal and antiseptic, Myrrh excels in the presence of any mouth problems as it is particularly effective when acting on the mucous membranes...mixed with goldenseal powder it has the ability to rid the mouth of periodontal disease. I did just that by putting a few drops of myrrh tincture on a toothbrush, adding some goldenseal powder, and brushing my teeth twice a day.

Diluted myrrh tincture is used to wash invalids to control the formation of bedsores. Here is a formula for treating rheumatism: 1 part myrrh tincture, 1/4 part cayenne tincture, and 2 parts echinacea tincture. Mix thoroughly; 10-15 drops in plenty of water applied externally.

8. Feverfew - there is a post I brought to the top about feverfew.

---Medicinal Action and Uses---Aperient, carminative, bitter. As a stimulant it is usefulas an emmenagogue. Is also employed in hysterical complaints, nervousness and lowness of spirits, and is a general tonic. The cold infusion is made from 1 OZ. of the herb to a pint of boiling water, allowed to cool, and taken frequently in doses of half a teacupful.

A decoction with sugar or honey is said to be good for coughs, wheezing and difficult breathing. The herb, bruised and heated, or fried with a little wine and oil, has been employed as a warm external application for wind and colic.

A tincture made from Feverfew and applied locally immediately relieves the pain and swelling caused by bites of insects and vermin. It is said that if two teaspoonfuls of tincture are mixed with 1/2 pint of cold water, and all parts of the body likely to be exposed to the bites of insects are freely sponged with it, they will remain unassailable. A tincture of the leaves of the true Chamomile and of the German Chamomile will have the same effect.

Planted round dwellings, it is said to purify the atmosphere and ward off disease.

An infusion of the flowers, made with boiling water and allowed to become cold, will allay any distressing sensitiveness to pain in a highly nervous subject, and will afford relief to the face-ache or earache of a dyspeptic or rheumatic person.

---Preparations---Fluid extract: dose, 1 to 2 drachms.

9. Chamomile (Roman) for colic, as posted by Mamacat

So, anthemis nobilis, ROMAN chamomile. This is a long growing perennial that rarely tops 9 inches in height. You will need a nice group of plants. If you see one at the nursery with double flowers snap it up – it is medicinally the best to buy. Chamomile is notorious for escaping cultivation every chance it gets, how wonderful for us since it’s seeds are so robust we may find them growing 40 feet away from the parent plants!

A general rule of thumb with any herb harvesting is, when harvesting blossoms, do so before they fully open and certainly before they open so far as to show pollen. I harvest mine as soon as the wispy green leave fold away from the pretty yellow center.

An infusion is best made from 1 part dry blossom to 4 parts water. If this is a new concept to you it is very simple 1 part might be a cup, for example, therefore 4 parts would be 4 cups. If 1 part equals a tablespoon, 4 parts equals 4 tablespoons. 1 part is ¼ Cup… 4 parts is? That’s right, 4 ¼’s of a cup or 1 cup.

A side note here, many people make their infusions with boiling water. Please don’t do this. Water boiling at 212 degrees poured over your lovely dried plant material is immediately going to heat-destroy some of your benefits. I boil my water, cool it 5 minutes and then pour it over my material.

10. Boneset, Eupatorium altissimum

Aster family (Asteraceae)

http://www.allnatural.net/herbpages/boneset.shtml

MEDICINAL:

Boneset is used for treating severe fevers, as well as flu, colds, and catarrh conditions. One to two tablespoons of the tincture in hot water is used for sweat therapy to break fevers. The infusion is also drunk once or twice per day to aid in healing broken bones.

GROWING:

Boneset prefers damp to moist rich soils. It is a North American native perennial that reaches 2 to 4 feet high, and grows in partial sun.

http://www.nutrasanus.com/boneset.html

Boneset, also know as agueweed, crosswort, feverwort, indian sage, teasel, and thoroughwort, is part of the Echinacea and daisy (Asteraceae) botanical family. It mainly grows in temperate regions of North America. The leaves and flowering tops of Boneset are the parts of the plant that are used medicinally. Boneset is used primarily as a homeopathic remedy, where it is recommended for fevers, flu, digestive problems, and liver disorders. Further clinical studies are required in order confirm it effectiveness.

Medical Indications and Benefits

Many people believe that boneset is one of the best herbal remedies for relieving symptoms associated with influenza. It speedily relieves aches and pains as well as assisting the body's ability to cope with fever. Boneset may be used to help clear mucus congestion from the upper respiratory tract. Its mild aperient activity may also be effective at relieving constipation. It may ease the symptoms of muscular rheumatism treatment. Test tube studies have also indicated taht boneset can stimulate immune cell function.

Dosage and Administration

Boneset has been traditionally taken as a tea or tincture. To prepare the tea, add boiling water to 1/4-1/2 teaspoon (1-2 grams) of the herb. Allow it to steep covered for ten to fifteen minutes. Three cups (750 ml) a day may be taken (the tea is fairly bitter). Tincture, 1/4-3/4 teaspoon (1-4 ml) three times daily, is also taken often.

Common Side Effects and Interactions

A small minority experience nausea and/or vomiting when using boneset. However, the fresh plant is more likely to cause these conditions than the dried herb. Although pyrrolizidine alkaloids, potentially liver-damaging chemicals, are found in some similar plants the levels in boneset are minimal. No known findings of liver damage from taking boneset have been reported. Regardless, liver-diseased individuals should avoid boneset, and no one should take it consistently for six months or longer. Women who are breast-feeding should not take boneset. Do not use boneset when a high fever (over 102 degrees F) is present.

Here’s a list of a few of the herbs I stock in my medicine closet on a routine basis. I have purposely kept the list short so as not to overwhelm those just starting out with herbs but have given two or three in each category to choose from. The first one or two in each list are those I use often or first. I have not elaborated on them nor given dosages. Many of these have multiple uses so please be sure to study them before you use them if you don’t already know what they are and do. Lois has some excellent info on herbs posted here. Be sure to check that out also.

Healing Herbs:

Comfrey

Plaintain

St. John’s Wort

Immune Enhancing:

Garlic

Elderberry

Echinacea

Astragalus

Rose hips (high in Vitamin C)

Anti-diarrheal:

Blackberry and Raspberry Leaf

Marshmallow Root

Slippery Elm Bark

Carob Powder

Digestives:

Mint

Ginger

Slippery Elm Bark

Marshmallow Root

Anticongestives: (for colds, sinus etc)

Coltsfoot

Wild Cherry Bark

Eucalyptus

Slippery Elm Bark

Sage

Fenugreek

Marshmallow Root

Antiseptic:

Thyme

Juniper Berries

Calming:

Lemon Balm

Chamomile

St. John’s Wort

Valarian

Numbing: (especially teeth)

Cloves (especially the oil)

Counter Irritant:

Mustard

Styptic:

Yarrow

I could add to this list all day and still not get done. There are so many useful plants out there that make it easy to have a reasonably stocked herbal medicine kit. Notice that many of the first ones on each list can be home grown or foraged. I raise and/or harvest a large majority of those I stock.

Hope this helps. I'm looking forward to reading what others stock.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, here's what I decided. Reasons are found in various posts throughout the site, as well as the books I have. As I have some of this on hand, I won't need to buy it all, and my order will include some cooking spices and herbs as well. My order will run around $250. Not sure when I will get it, we have to get the vehicles fixed first. I will let everyone know so that you can get on on the Goldenseal buy if you need to.

Anise Seed

Stinging Nettle

Astragalus

Echinacea

Valerian

Passionflower

Myrrh

Feverfew

Boneset

Comfrey

Plantain

St. John’s Wort

Lavender

Garlic

Rosehips

Thyme

Catnip

Yarrow

White Willow Bark

Dinger

Eyebright

Hawthorn

Lobelia

Mullein

Cayenne

Rosemary

Calendula

Would anyone suggest additions?

Mo7

hyssop - expectorant and for making poultices (penicillin grows on its leaves)

pennyroyal - insect repellant and treatment for colds and flu.

bee balm - coughs, and as an antiseptic against fungus infections, bacteria in the digestive system, and some parasites.

horehound - laxative and to loosen congestion and soothe coughs and sore throats.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ladies,

Got the newsletter today and this subject peaked my interests. I've been making organic healing and skin care products for a few decades. smile

Herbs are great, but you might consider an essential oil first aid kit as an alternative -- or at least initially until you can afford to stock up on your herbs. Also, remember herbs lose their potency a lot faster than essential oils.

Here's a little info that might help (I'm quoting Marge Clark from Nature's Gift, because she is well-respected in the EO international community and happens to be local for me -- her kit isn't necessary, as you could create your own):

Essential Oil First Aid Kit

Reprinted from Natural Living Today, June 1999

Quoting "Marge Clark, aromatherapist and owner of Nature's Gift"

· Lavender for headaches, burns, bug bites, and sore muscles.

· Everlast (Immortelle) [Helichrysum Italicuum] for bruises, inflammation, sprains, and swelling.

· ;b]Peppermint[/b] for migraines, tummy aches, fatigue, congestion. Also can be used for poison ivy and other "itchies."

· Tea Tree or Manuka for disinfectant (antibacterial and antifungal), bug bites, scratches, and scrapes.

· Roman Chamomile for relaxation, easing sore muscles, and as an antispasmodic.

· Cajeput for fire ant and other more serious bites.

How to use your Essential Oil First Aid Kit

Organic Bulgarian Lavender for headaches, burns, bug bites, and sore muscles.

Lavender is the one essential oil that is commonly recommended for use "neat" in case of emergency.

The Nature's Gift First Aid Kit contains 5 ml of undiluted ("neat") Organic Bulgarian Lavender Essential Oil.

· For headaches, put a drop of neat Lavender on the temples and the nape of the neck.

· Minor burns: apply neat Lavender or blend Lavender and the juice of a fresh aloe leaf. Please note, aloe will be more effective at immediately easing the pain of a burn, but Lavender will promote faster healing with no or less scarring.

· Mosquito bites: neat or diluted (in a carrier oil) Lavender, or blend Lavender with a bit of well diluted Peppermint essential oil to ease scratching.

· Sunburns: either mix a few drops of Lavender into some cool water, shake well and spray the sunburn, or make a compress: to a bowl of cold water add a few drops of Lavender floated on top, wring a damp cloth and cover the sunburned area. Repeat as the compress warms up. After the first day, add 5 drops of Lavender to 5 ml (one teaspoon) of your favorite carrier oil and gently apply to the burned area. A tepid bath, with cider vinegar and Lavender essential oil added will also promote healing and help "take the heat out."

· Sore, over-used muscles: Lavender essential oil in your favorite carrier oil helps soothe the ache of abused muscles. Again, 5 drops to 5 ml (one teaspoon) of carrier. You might consider adding some of the diluted Roman Chamomile contained in your First Aid Kit to the above blend.

· Stress, tension, too many visitors, too much to do: A few drops of Lavender in a bath eases tension. Consider blending with some Roman Chamomile.

· Insomnia: A drop of neat Lavender on your pillow, or a Lavender bath before retiring will help relax you (or your excited children) into a natural relaxing sleep.

Helichrysum Italicuum for bruises, inflammation, sprains, and swelling.

The Nature's Gift First Aid Kit contains 5 ml of our precious Organic Helichrysum essential oil in a 10% dilution in Jojoba Oil.

· Bruises: apply diluted Helichrysum immediately, reapply frequently to ease pain, swelling, and discoloration of a bruise.

· Helichrysum is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Apply diluted Helichrysum essential oil to inflamed skin.

· I would immediately add Helichrysum italicuum to any injury that does not involve broken skin; it is reported to have wonderful results in accelerating healing. I have used it on a broken toe, jammed fingers, etc. Friends have used it on a hand caught in the car door for emergency treatment and been amazed at how quickly the bruising and pain went away.

Peppermint for migraines, tummy aches, fatigue, congestion and various "itchies".

Your Nature's Gift First Aid Kit contains 5 ml Peppermint essential oil in a skin-safe 2.5% dilution.

· Migraines: Many migraine sufferers report relief after rubbing properly diluted Peppermint essential oil on their forehead, the back of the neck, and the solar plexus. You may consider adding a few drops of Lavender essential oil to the blend, as Lavender also is often helpful for migraines.

· Upset Stomachs: can often be calmed by either inhaling Peppermint straight from the bottle, or rubbing a drop or two on the abdomen.

· Fatigue/Exhaustion: Peppermint is a stimulant and can aid with both physical and mental exhaustion. A great oil to carry in the car, both to keep the driver awake and aware and to ease any carsickness that might occur.

· Congestion: If summer's pollens cause sinus congestion, diluted Peppermint is a wonderful treatment for either stuffy noses or sinus headaches. Either inhale the diluted oil to help clear a stuffy nose, or blend with some diluted Lavender essential oil and gently rub into cheekbones and forehead to ease a sinus headache.

· Cool the 'heat' of a sunburn or fever by adding about eight drops of the diluted oil blend to a tepid bath. Peppermint will not help a sunburn heal more quickly, but will help the burning "chill out."

· Poison Ivy and other itchies: We have had success adding a few drops of Peppermint essential oil to commercial Calamine Lotion to help ease the itch of poison ivy rashes. In fact, a tiny amount of Peppermint essential oil is a good addition to almost any "anti-itch" preparation.

Tea Tree or Manuka for disinfectant, bug bites, scratches, and scrapes.

Tea Tree is a powerful anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal essential oil. Your Nature's Gift First Aid Kit contains 5 ml organic Tea Tree essential oil, in a proven effective 2.5 dilution.

· After washing a scrape, you might consider a bit of diluted Tea Tree essential oil to help keep the abrasion germ free.

· Puncture wounds should never be treated with Lavender, since it can cause the surface to heal, rather than letting the wound heal from the inside to the surface. In this case, Tea Tree essential oil, diluted, is the perfect blend to apply.

· Any sort of skin irritation that shows signs of perhaps becoming infected, whether they are mosquito bites, cuts or scrapes will benefit from Tea Tree's anti-microbial properties.

Roman Chamomile for relaxation, easing sore muscles, and as an antispasmodic.

. The Nature's Gift First Aid Kit contains 5 ml organic Roman Chamomile in a 10% dilution in Jojoba.

· Relaxation: blend with Lavender for the most relaxing bath around.

· Sore Muscles: alone, or with Lavender added. Roman Chamomile is wonderful for tired, achy muscles.

· Antispasmodic: useful for intestinal cramps (massage clockwise onto abdomen).

·o Muscle spasms: apply to painful area, a touch of Lavender may help here as well.

· Anti-inflammatory: useful for skin abrasions, scrapes, rug burns, etc.

· Colic or teething pains in babies and children (dilute for use with children. Add two parts carrier oil to this already diluted bottle of Roman Chamomile essential oil.

Cajeput for fire ant bites.

.Your Nature's Gift First Aid Kit contains 2 ml undiluted Cajeput.

· Apply immediately, reapply several times the first day.

· Day two, switch to diluted Lavender essential oil to hasten healing.

You might also consider keeping organic unrefined virgin coconut oil on hand. It's anti-viral and anti-bacterial. Coconut oil has amazing qualities. There are whole books about it. It is not "hardened" it is just naturally hard below a certain temperature. That's what makes it so stable for cooking and lasts for years. Check out what Dr Mercola has to say or a book by Sally Fallon. It is one of those wonder foods. It's been known to clear up herpes, diarrhea, tonsillitis, colds, flu, etc.

It's very multifunctional and can also be used for bodycare:

· Body moisturizer

· Body firmer

· Hand moisturizer

· Nail & cuticle moisturizer

· Face moisturizer

· Face complexion cream or product

· Fragrance

· Deep hair conditioner

· Anti-frizz for hair

If you're wanting some basic skin care recipes, let me know what you're looking for and I'll see what I've got to share.

Hope that helps!

ginger or licorice for nausea.

candy the ginger, or licorice root can be chewed. If you go to a health food store look for "DGL" - Licorice Root Extract- Deglycyrrhizinated - Chewable Tablets.

peppermint works too but not as well.

Of course you can use commercial herbal teas AH. You can even use kitchen herbs. The only problem with them as apposed to growing and drying your own is freshness. Often times heb teas and kitchen spices and herbs will set in warehouses or on store shelves for months or longer, even years in some cases. The medicinal value of those could be so greatly reduced as to be wasting money on them.

Most teas come with expiration dates on them now. The quality ones, like Celestrial Season's and others are usually fairly fresh if you buy them from a busy store. Buying herbs from other sources might not be any better. You need to check out the company really well, not only for how long they store before selling but for their reputation for purity and honesty.

I do not grow/wildcraft all my own herbs and medicinals as some are difficult to come by. I use herbs from different parts of the country and from over seas too. But I do have native substitutes for most of what I buy and I enjoy growning and finding my own. It gives me a feeling of being in control of my own medicine and indeed of my own health.

Don't be afraid to use commercial teas and herbs though. Experiment to find what works best. If ginger tea works, then fine, but if it doesn't help, try the herb ginger. If that doesn't work try buying fresh ginger root and drying and grinding your own. You can make your own reusable tea bags, use a tea strainer for bulk herbs or buy iron shut empty tea bags, and blank capsules to make your own herbals. Working with herbs is not an exact science or at least it doesn't have to be even if the drug companies have led us to think it is.

((( ))))

Also with buying tea bags you run into price issues. This is, however, a good way to start.

EO's are great additions, too, for most people. I have developed a sensitivity to most EO's (and I never used them undiluted). I am a firm believer in EO's. Complete sensitivity (will post more info on that if needed) can happen, but is rare. I have horrid allergies and believe that is part of the issue.

Mo7

Archived