MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

IMO Two things you should keep on hand

Nett

For insect stings......... yellow mustard, I prefer French's

Now by chance I have found one many use item that I have only found one person allergic to, & I have used it on hundreds........A product produced by Paul Mitchell hair care products called The Conditioner. Use as a burn treatment (both chemical and heat induced) a hair conditioner, shaving cream, hand lotion....it has many uses and I love it and now have friends who swear by it. Soothes a bleach burn, and if applied immediately and continuouosly on a heat induced burn will reduce or prevent blisters....

No I do not now or have ever or will ever work for these people but have learned when you find a good thing pass on the news, it could really help someone in a time of need.

Some of the main listed ingredients are as follows:

Hawaiian awapuhi

chamomile

henna

rosemary

aloe ver

jojoba

white ginger

This is the complete listing on the ingredients as on the product:

Water,cetyl alcohol, stearl alcohol, glycerin, ceteth-2,cetrimonium broide,bisaminoPEG/PPG-41/3 amino-ethyl PG-proply dimethicone/hedychium coronarium(white ginger)/PEG-12 dimethicone,bisamino PEG/PPG-41/3aminoethyl PG-propyl dimethicone/algae/aloe barbadensis leaf/anthemis nobili/lawsonia inermis(henna)/simmondsia chinensis(rosemary)/PEG-12 dimethicone,wheatgermamidopropyl ethyldimonium ethosulfate, citric acid,fragrance,blue 1(cl42090), DMDM hydantoin, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, methylparaben, propylparaben.

this is as it is listed on the product itself.

I had a reaction to too much of a cleaner on my hand and started to react to it the same way you would to bleach,(itching, white patches) smothered it with the conditioner and there are no signs whatsoever that anything occured. Yes conditioner smothers out the oxygen on a burn (easing pain) and provides the moisture needed to heal.

Thanks for the info, so many of us do not put anything that we could not eat on our skin as we absorb it as readily as consumption.

I use Miracle II neutralizer on burns it stops the burn and helps prevent scaring. It is also helpful for insect bites, and I could drink it with no ill effects.

I have gotten this in my eyes and mouth with no ill effects. I had not heard of Miracle II neutralizer. I found this stuff and love it for its many uses.

I forgot to mention to those who enjoy a good hot straight razor shave this is the best of shaving creams, softens the skin and with the hot towel wipe off you have no dry skin either.

Treatment of a burn

Stop the burn by putting out flames and removing person from source of the burn.

Cool the burned area with large amounts of cool water. Do not use ice or ice water except on small surface burns. Apply soaked towels, sheets or other wet cloths to the face or other areas that cannot be immersed. Keep cloth cool by adding more water.

Cover the burn with dry, sterile dressings or cloth. Loosely bandage dressings in place to prevent infection and reduce pain, or cover burned area with dry sheet.

When to call 9-1-1:

Burns involving breathing difficulty

Burns covering more than one body part

Burns to the head, neck, hands, feet or genitals

Burns other than a very minor one to a child or elderly person

Burns resulting from chemicals, explosions or electricity

http://cortland.redcross.org/news1d.htm

Just an fyi-Red Cross does not recommend using any product as a burn treatment. Any contamination can easily cause infection.

Now the last time I took a Red Cross first-aide course (which was over 10 yrs ago), the instructor said they had ok'ed the use of pure aloe, but only after the burn had been thoroughly cleaned. But I can't find it anywhere doing a google search. The only 100% pure aloe I have found is the Fruit of the Earth brand at Wal-Mart-fragrance free/color free, but it does have stabilizers and preservatives. ??? I've always been fearful of using an actual plant, cuz if there were ANY dirt or such on it, then it would be introduced to the burn site and could cause infection.

I think every kitchen should have an aloe vera plant. The juice from the leaves so quickly can cool a burn. It is known as the burn plant by many. Aloe vera juice can also be applied to warts.

Comfrey is also a good plant to have. It has the native name of Bone-set The Indians used all parts of the plant.They dried and powdered the root, ate the young leaves fresh, dried the large leaves and made tea and salves. The powdered root was used for broken bones.

I cannot use commercial shampoos/conditioners due to the fragrance. I wash my hair with lye soap and rinse with apple cider vinegar.

Twilight

bouquet Twilight. :welcome: To Mrs. S. I see this is your first post and what a good one. I agree, everyone should have an aloe plant in their home. It's good for lots of things but especially when you have a burn. I just snip off a leaf or part of one, slit it open lengthways and scoop out some of the gel to put on the burn. It works for raw scraped skin areas also. If you are worried about dirt, which I never do as I am careful to use only the interior of the leaf, you can wash the leaf first.

Comfrey is also a very good plant. It's especially good as a poultice on a bruise. Takes out the blueness real fast.

NOTE: I HAVE to put out this disclaimer. Comfrey does carry a Government warning not to use it internally. Supposedly there has been some people who died with liver problems in using it. (Of course, there were only a few and they all were taking comfrey in HUGE amounts daily for extended periods of time and some already had liver diseases.) Do your own research on it and come to your own conclusion on it.

I use it myself but not every day and not in large amounts but comfrey salve is really super. Comfrey 'hay' also makes great feed for animals. I've used it as such a long time and none of my animals have every had liver disease so perhaps they are immune to it???? (she says a bit sarcastically eek)

Twilight, I am also allergic to shampoo/conditioners both because of the fragrance and because of the Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in most shampoos. I also use lye soap with a vinegar rinse to reastablish the pH balance that the soap disturbs. I often use herb vinegars for my hair. I use Nettle, sage and strawberry leaf in mine. They are great as a hair conditioner. Rosemary, chamomile and etc make great additions too but even their natural fragrance will bother me.

Again, welcome. If you are of a mind to, why not hop up to the sunporch and introduce yourself. I'll be looking forward to your future posts.

bighug

Colloidal Silver sprayed on burns will kill germs, bacteria, etc, reducing the chance of infections that cause so much of the scaring. That is why silverlon bandages make such a good dressing for wounds etc. The best thing about silverlon is can be reused when you wash it by hand.

Silver kills the nasties on contact.

Archived