MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A Question About Meat

My husband brought home a very large package of steaks from the supermarket. The price was drastically reduced, because the "sell by" date is today. The "use by" date is two days from now. Here's my question: Will it be okay to repackage the steaks into smaller portions and freeze until I'm ready to use it? There's no way I'm going to use all of this steak in just two days. However, since it's already at the "sell by" date and doesn't look as fresh as the meat I usually buy, I was wondering if it's okay to freeze at this point?

Go ahead and freeze it. When you thaw it be sure to cook within 2 days. Cook to well done for safety.

Genoa, I buy meat like that all the time.

If you're really concerned, throw it all in the cp and let it cook all day on low. Then you can shred it and use it how you want, and it will freeze well.

But as Leah said, it will freeze just fine.

Mo7

Thats my favourite way to buy meat! Freeze and when you do thaw it, cook that day!. I try to freze with go-between, that way I only thaw what I need.

If you use them right after you thaw them, they should be fine at less then well-done.

Archived