MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question... newly ground wheat

I bought 1 3/4 lb. wheat and ground it in my new grinder. For a cheapie hand grinder it didn't do too bad. Had to run it through three times, but 'oh well'. shrug (DBF helped. clap )

Now I wanna make some bread. Can I just use this ground wheat in any recipe that says 'flour', or do I have to adjust the recipe? I don't want to add any store bought flour-just use what I ground. Any suggestions. I do have some wheat gluten, but for the first batch I don't want to use it. I'm going for the 'nothing else available' effect. Simplest recipe I can find.

TIA

Whatever you make will be heavy, Necie. It's just the way whole wheat is. Most recipes say to use a minimum of half and half (whole wheat to processed white).

Don't expect whatever you make to be light and airy like store bought breads. shrug

I've got a busy day ahead, but I separated this thread out so others will find it and can help, too. Maybe by evening I would have something for ya...

bighug

When I use homeground whole wheat, I usually run it through a sieve and take a little of the bran out so it won't be so heavy. Hubby uses just a touch more leavening than with white flour. We have never added gluten.

Hope that helps a little.

Someone else will know more to tell you, I'm sure. Good luck!

It's called a Universal. Don't remember the #s on it. Got it at the Amish store for Christmas this last year. It looks like one of those old metal meat grinders. We ground corn in it this last winter-had to put it through twice for cornbread, but this is the first time we've done wheat. It really works pretty good. Took us about 20 min or so to grind the wheat through 3 times-and we really weren't hurrying or working to hard at it. grin Just fooling around with the thing to see how it worked.

I have a recipe for wheat/white bread that uses only things you should have in your food storage anyways. It doesnt use milk or eggs or butter.. Let me dig it up (have to make some more today anyways )and Ill get back to you.

OK this recipe is very simple.. Even I have yet to screw it up smile (and thats saying something since I normally cant make bread at all)

Salt 1/2 TBS

Honey or sugar 1/4 cup

Vegetable oil 1/4 cup

Warm water 2 1/2 cups

Wheat flour 3 cups

Active Dry Yeast 1 1/2 TBS

White Flour 2.5-4 cups

Measure salt, sugar/honey, vegetable oil and wheat flour into a large mixing bowl. Mix until well blended. Add warm water and yeast. (mix about 1 minute)

1/2 cup at a time mix in as much of the remaining white flour as you can with your wooden spoon until your dough is firm enough to work with (kneading)

Turn onto floured cutting board and knead in as much of the remaining flour to make firm but still tacky dough.

Place dough in large greased bowl and cover with a cloth. Allow dough to rise unti lit has doubled in size (about 1 hour)

Form loaves and place into greased pans. Allow dough to rise again until it has doubled in size (about 45 minutes or so)

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.. Makes 2 large loaves.

Now I have been playing with this recipe and have used more wheat flour and the results are just as good. I havent been brave enough to try a total wheat flour yet. I hope this helps.

Archived