MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dried bread and what to do with the stuff

Bruschetta - slice thinly, drizzle with olive oil, diced tomatoes (or a bit of canned diced tomatoes, italian sauce if desired, and basil. broil or bake until hot. Sprinkle parmesan cheese.

there are so many recipes for Bruschetta and it is wonderful.. but can't make it with fresh bread! much be dried.

That *stuff* in the grocery store that has been process and filled with chemicals that will give it years worth of shelf life...that's the fake stuff.

Real bread crumbs is made from bread in the home environment (yanno, that roofed structure you live in).

Are you still confused?

darlene

• 2 months later...

Yeah, your thread has given me the courage to deliberately experiment with breadcrumbs, and I must say that I'm delighted with the results. Thank you for your insights!!

I keep old french bread around and make it into crumbs for meatloaf, where it works a heckuvalot better than cracker crumbs ever did. And the crumbs work well as a topping or thickener for just about anything. The idea of using chunks of dried bread doesn't do anything for me, but the crumbs are so versatile...

Hippie Dad,

slice bread into strips, create any flavor your like, garlic perhaps? treat like a giant crouton... now you have.. bread stick! a nice touch when presenting soup for dinner.

ok, not your cup of tea... sprinkle with ground cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, a bit of clove mixed with sugar! the kids will love them.

Archived